Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Mushroom chemical warfare...
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.06.29(Thu)15:36    Post subject: Mushroom chemical warfare... Reply with quote

I have a few soft corals that are guilty of the old chemical warfare trick...
GSP, Zoos and Mushrooms.

Carbon assists in the removal of these toxins I hear, but I don't find much info on how often carbon is generally replaced if being used for this purpose.

Water changes also remove the toxins of course... does skimming?

Now for the truly dumb question... I know no corals should be near each other... so I keep most at least 6 inches away from each other... but would this count for different species of mushrooms? Without realizing it, I put my green mushroom rock right next to a live rock with a red mushroom...
no idea on either species...

I can take pics if it will help.

I can also moce the mushroom rock to another tank if that's wise.

Thanks
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.30(Fri)6:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replace carbon every other week. I wouldn't worry too much about chemical warfare with softies too much. LPS is where the majority of the nasty chemicals come from, most softies can live right on top of each other w/o too much competition. GSP and Zoas can be noxious if touching other corals, being in close proximity shouldn't be a problem.

Skimming will not remove the chemicals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.06.30(Fri)7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jack. I have Pulse coral (xenia) in the tank (as far away from everything as possible of course) so I wanted to be aware of how quickly the toxins may build.

Right now, the plan is for 2 water changes of 15% per week.
All corals are smaller frags so I don't expect huge problems...
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.30(Fri)8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be no problem...I have some xenia covering a mushroom rock and they are not trying to kill each other. LPS corals are the real chemical invaders. I also have some star polyps growing under a green cap and they have been that way for about 6 months, the polyps are actually growing on the bottom of the cap and it hasn't been a problem. I have a branching candycane that the xenia will not get close to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
sunshine84
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.01(Sat)17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have quite a few corals in close proximity... mainly just different species of leathers and sinularias, and I haven't really had any problems with that. I also have a mushroom at the base of a kenya tree coral, and suprisingly that hasn't even caused any probs.

The only headache I've really had, was when my torch coral expanded a bit far and was a bit close to the plate coral. The side of the plate started to retract and go white and even after I'd moved it, it still died.

As far as I know, it seems to be the long tentacle corals that are the most stingy. The softies seem to be fine close together. Carbon should be helpful in reducing chemical warfare. Although, I haven't actually used it myself - so let me know how it goes Smile
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.07.01(Sat)21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, both of you... I appreciate the help.

I'll let you both know how it all goes....
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: