Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
55g SW Journal (sequel to the 10g nano diary)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
harlock
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.19(Wed)12:46    Post subject: Fish Front UPDATE Reply with quote

FISH FRONT UPDATE:
------------------------

Mere minutes after logging off from this site this morning, I went over to the reef tank, and saw Vinny near death, stuck to the intake of one of the powerheads. I couldn't bare to let him go on like that so I removed him then, and said my farewells. To better days. RIP Vinny.

-h-
harlock
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.29(Thu)14:24    Post subject: So it Goes Reply with quote

Another chapter in saltwater tanking has come to an end. This past Tuesday, I dismantled the 55g reef aquarium. As it was with the 10g nano reef, I loved the tank, and it was doing well, however the time and money I was putting into the reef environment was not worth my keeping it in operation, when I could go down to my LFS and see many gorgeous reef tanks any time I'd like.

The 55g is being coverted into a Duboise cichlid tank. My 75g Malawai Cichlid tank is doing great, and I'd like to keep different kinds of cichlids from different regions of Africa.

The 55g FW has already been cleaned out, and started up. I got black sand, mixed with black gravel, and a jet black background. The Duboises are black with small white polka dots on them (as juveniles), and will look great in this environment. As adults, they turn solid black, and their heads turn a cool electric blue. Once the tank is more established, I plan on moving my Vampire Pleco from the 75g to the 55g, as he is also jet black with white polka dots.

Anyways... SW is great fun! I love it as much as I love grilled cheese sandwiches! I've experimented successfully with SW reef tanks for 2 years now, but still feel they are absolutely more work than FW tanks. When I have the time, when I have the money, "I'll be back."

Anyone interested in following my 55g Duboise Cichlid tank thread should look for it in the PHOTO FORUM. Thank you, dedicated readers, and folks who always lend a helping hand.

-h-
perfectblue
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.29(Thu)16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bad you had to take down your saltwater tank but I'm sure you'll create a great Cichlid tank. I also took down my 55g FOWLR salty because it wasn't going in the direction I wanted it to go, and was taking up a lot of room. I downgraded to a 20g long that I will turn into a reef tank.

2.5 gallon saltwater tank
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Jump to: