Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
turbo snails
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
crete456
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)13:30    Post subject: turbo snails Reply with quote

hello ...I resently purchased a turbo snail for my 37 gallon tank...I don't have much algae, just bits of brown algae...I was wondering how does one feed the snail if theres no algae...what kind of food and how to administer...thanks
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a new tank? Cycled ?How long have you had it running? Fish? Corals? Other?

Do you have live rock? If so, then one snail will likely get enough from that until it starts to grow on the glass and what not.

If you don't, then I would go buy some. Easiest way to provide food and filtration...
crete456
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)14:44    Post subject: thanks numbers Reply with quote

I have a FO 37 gallon tank...I had a problem with copper so I had to break down the whole tank(removed old substrate and cleaned everything) and start over...trying to find a dealer that sells turbo start around my area since its so expensive to ship...I found a dealer near me that sells bio-spira from marineland products but I've read that it doesn't work well...I think my tank needs to be recycled... (I didn't clean the bio wheel so I thought my ammonia & nitrites would be OK since the tank was broken in but there starting to increase) I hear turbo start is a better product...I don't want to lose my fish... they seem OK with the rise in ammonia & nitrites but I don't want to risk it...5" snowflake eel,2" humu & clown trigger,2"cowfish & turbo snail...2" of caribsea crushed coral... plastic corals...skimmer & emporer 400...I'd like to add live rock for a more natural look but don't know much about it (what type, acclimation etc.)...thanks for the advice...hey I added phoszorb because my phospates from tap water is high should I remove it while my ammonia & nitrite levels are high...
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)15:40    Post subject: Re: thanks numbers Reply with quote

crete456 wrote:
I have a FO 37 gallon tank..5" snowflake eel,2" humu & clown trigger,2"cowfish & turbo snail.

You are kidding right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
crete456
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

not kidding ...why to many fish?
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many and improper for a tank that size. The eel needs at least 55 gallons, the triggers need over 100 gallons and the cowfish needs at least 180 gallons.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi crete456,

How long have you had your tank stocked like this?

I always understand the honest mistakes of beginners (having made many of them myself) but I think you will find that anyone who knows the mature size and habits of those fish will shudder at the thought of them being housed like that.
Here's a link regarding cowfish http://www.cowfishes.com/. Note the unique qualities section and the reference to ostracitoxin. I too, was once interested in this fish (my wife liked the look of them) but the thought of one fish wiping out the tank stopped me cold. At some point I see either the triggers or (may be) the eel turning on it, or your water quality diminishing due to the feeding regime of the tank in general, and then your stocking problems will be solved Crying or Very sad

Please do some research on the mature size of you fish.

Humu trigger 12"
Clown trigger 18"
Snowflake eel 24" - 32"

Good luck.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: