Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
20 gallon tall Salt water stock options?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
TJ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)8:56    Post subject: 20 gallon tall Salt water stock options? Reply with quote

I have been looking for ideas for my 20 gallon. I am pretty satisfied with my 15 gallon planted so I am considering salt water. I know its better to start with 30+ but I don't have room for anymore tanks and I already have the 20 gallon.

How many fish would I be able to keep in a 20 gallon? I plan on using 35? pounds of live rocks. How much live sand should I use? I plan on using a coralife 65 skimmer with a needle wheel. For water changes, maybe every 2 weeks.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

a pair of small clowns would work...but only two small fish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
TJ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

What shrimp is the best for cleaning? How many should I purchase? can't you have 3 small fish in a 20 gallon? I have hear 2 for 10-15 gallons and something like 2 small clowns and a small goby for a 20 gallon.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a small tank you want the smallest bio-load possible. I wouldn't do 3 fish. Look at it this way, you have about 20 gallons of water. Subtract the volume taken up by the sand. Subtract the volume taken up by the rock and equipment. How much actual water do you think you have in that tank? That is why you do not want to follow fish per gallon or inch per gallon rules. Your volume may vary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with sirreal. Also, the best shrimp that cleans is, well, the Cleaner Shrimp. If you want one, it's best to just have one in a tank that size; however, it's not really a necessity to have a Cleaner Shrimp for a tank with just a pair of clowns. Clowns generally don't like to be cleaned by shrimp and will often swim away whenever the shrimp tries to do its job.
TJ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.28(Wed)15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I see now. 2 seems like a bit much now Laughing . Thanks for the help.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: