Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10 or 5 gallon reef? Help
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Fishperson4
Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.24(Sat)10:11    Post subject: 10 or 5 gallon reef? Help Reply with quote

I have been into fish sense I was around 10(I am now 17). Before that I would help my mom take care of her fish. I have had tons of different types of tanks and fish, however I have never had experience with salt water. I know if I ask simple questions about salt water fish that I will be told to read the intro to salt water fish at the top of the post. So I'm going to ask more opinionated questions.
I want to start a 5 to 10 gallon salt water tank. I think I'm going for the 10g at the moment. I would like to make it a reef tank with a clown fish in it, as well as some invertebres if I can do so. Does this sound like a reasonable arrangment to all of you? If so what sort of clams/shrimp could I put in with the clownfish that would be sutible for a 10g tank. Also, I would like things that arent for expert salt water tank keepers due to the fact that I'm new to it.
Second, I need opinions on what sort of coral I could put into a 10 gallon tank, I do want a sea anenome for the clown. My focus for this tank is not the fish, but the overall look of the tank. One last thing, could anyone give me a dollar estimate for the coral you suggest along with the fish, substract, and equipment. It doesn't have to be exact just a rough estimate. Another over advice other than what I asked for is welcome.

thanks,
-fishperson
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.24(Sat)11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert, but I am going to be setting up a SW tank soon too. Very Happy I'm not 100% but you could probably have an Ocellaris or other small clown. Stay away from the larger species such as the Maroon though (they can get up to 6inches. Shocked )

Invertabrates: Can't really help you too much there. All I know is that most starfish get quite big (the littlest one I've found get about 6'') and that most will die in a tank due to poor acclimation, they're sensitive to water quality, they can be hard to feed, and they generally don't do well in aquariums.

Corals: I'm not much help here either, BUT I have looked into anenomes myself. From what I've read, researched, and been told, they're not good tank subjects. They are quite sensitive to water quality, and from what I've read generally don't do well in home aquariums. From what I know, most die off. They are in demand and are being continually taken from the wild, but most will die in home aquariums. Also, most sources are saying that even EXPERT aquarists are a bit hasty to take on the challenge of an anemone.

Hope this helps.

P.S. With SW, bigger is better. Bigger tanks tend to be more stable than the smaller ones. MOST people will recommend at LEAST a 30 gallon for a first SW.
mandude
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.24(Sat)12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could put some yellow coral gobies in there, as for invertebraes you could put shrimp or some snails in.
garvondavis14
Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.25(Sun)22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much have you read about marine tanks? it sounds like you should do a lot more reading and research before you dive in, as it can get very expensive very quickly..also, I can't really suggest any corals without knowing what type of lighting you plan on having...your questions were just so broad that they lead me to believe that you really don't understand too much about sw tanks and need to do a lot more research

try checking out these sites:

www.reefcentral.com
www.thereeftank.com
www.reefs.org
www.nano-reefs.com
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: