Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Filter Question.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.20(Tue)17:21    Post subject: Filter Question. Reply with quote

OK. I know it's a noob question, but here it is.

Can Tetra Filter's be used on SW tanks? I've looked and looked but I can't seem to find out. I've heard of people using Tetra Whisper Power Filters on SW tanks, but I'm not sure if they're meant for SW or not.

I'm just asking cause we use Tetra Whisper 60 Power Filters on our freshwater aquariums and they work wonders. As long as you don't overfeed, the water is sparkling clean. Also, it would be much cheaper to buy a Tetra Whisper 60 or 2 than a Fluval or Hagen filter (I also plan on using live rock in my soon to come SW tank.)
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.20(Tue)17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people do not use power filters on SW tanks because they are nitrate traps, and can bring the nitrates too high for SW creatures. Most people have lots of live rock along with several powerheads for water flow.

How large is this tank going to be?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.21(Wed)0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi aquachicky,

Here is an article descibing the use of a power filter in a S.W. set up http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_small_aquarium_filter.php

Two important points:

a.) understand the pros and cons of this form of filtration, how to properly maintain the filter and the importance of partial water changes.

b.) purchase a filter that is easy to clean and can have its biological component removed (like the A.C. model in the article). I don't know how the media works in the whisper models so I can't comment on that brand.

If you are still considering the 55 - 75G. range you should really give serious consideration to the use of a skimmer.

Hope this helps,
Goodluck.
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.21(Wed)9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was all ready going to have LR, a skimmer, and powerheads. I just wanted to add a filter for good measure.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.21(Wed)22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan.
One other thing I like about the AC filter is that packets of chemical treatments like carbon and phosgaurd fits nicely in it. Do some snooping at the LFS and see if the tetra products will accomidate pouches like that also.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: