Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Aphyosemion australe or Lyretail Killifish questions
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
theredtiger2781
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.14(Wed)2:40    Post subject: Aphyosemion australe or Lyretail Killifish questions Reply with quote

I'm interesting in getting a pair of Aphyosemion australe or the Lyretail Killifish, but the information I have come across has not been consistant. A few questions:

1) I read that a 2.5 gallon tank is big enough for a pair espcially if you want to breed them, which I would like to. Is this really big enough?

2) I also read that peat moss fitration is the best way for filtration, but what is it and how does it work? What other options do I have for filtration for a 2.5 gallon tank?

3) I read that a dark substrate is perferred. I would like to do a sand substrate just becuase I never have before and would like to try it. Would that be OK? I would add some plants to the tank too, but I am unsure how the plants would like sand.

4) Could some sort of shimp or snail be OK and not bother them?

Thanks for your help in advance!
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.14(Wed)9:10    Post subject: Re: Aphyosemion australe or Lyretail Killifish questions Reply with quote

I have Australes and they are a wonderful little fish. 2.5 gal tanks are big enough for them, but I keep mine in 10 as I like to give them more room. Peat filtration is good because it keeps the pH a little lower but isn't necessary. If you are buying them locally find out what kind of pH they are used to. I have 2 small filters on my 10, one which contains peat in a nylon stocking to keep the pH down a little more. the other is just a regular filter for filtration.

Plants are a great idea with killies. I use a sand substrate in my tanks and doesn't bother them in the least. The plants are doing great in this substrate but you will have to use ferts for them. Killies like mosses and grasses. Naja grass is a good selection for this. Mine lay eggs in the baby tears and ricca all the time.

Either shimp or a snail is Okay to be in the tank, but be careful as the snail might decide to eat any eggs. I keep amano shrimp in my tanks and haven't had any problems.

Hope this helps, and maybe someone else with more experience will jump in also
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: