Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Wolf Eel/ Occelaris Compatibility
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.12(Mon)20:11    Post subject: Wolf Eel/ Occelaris Compatibility Reply with quote

Hey, could I keep a wolf eel and a pair of Occ. clowns together? Will the eel eat snails?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.06.12(Mon)21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, there are two Wolf Eels...
I will assume you mean C. subducens, the 18 inch Green Wolf Eel Blenny (actually not an Eel or Blenny but a Dottyback) and not the giant, urchin-crunching Wolf Eel (Anarrhichthys ocellatus) which reaches 6 feet.

The Green Wolf Eel Blenny (a.k.a. Pseudochromid) is a carnivorous predator so Clownfish are not good tankmates. Snails may be safe, but ornamental crustaceans are on the menu.

more info for you here:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-04/fm/feature/index.php
sunshine84
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.12(Mon)21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, wolf eels are considered to be aggressive. So, there's a good chance that your clowns will become dinner.

Quote:
The Wolf Eel may be kept in a reef aquarium, but will eat smaller fish and crustaceans. Its diet should include meaty foods such as small marine fish, chopped clam, and prawns in its diet.

As a general rule, I wouldn't house smaller fish with an eel. You may be able to keep larger fish or more aggressive fish with the eel though. So, maybe even a foxface (the poisonous dorsal fin will deter the eel), groupers, lions, large tangs/wrasses (I.e. dragon wrasse) etc...

Anyway, that's my opinion - I haven't kept eels before. But from what I've read and seen - I'd probably be more inclined to house an eel with larger or more aggressive fish.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: