Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
thinkin bout saltwater
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
atubiez21666
Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.06(Tue)0:36    Post subject: thinkin bout saltwater Reply with quote

I've been keeping freshwater fish for a few years now pretty successfully. now I'm thinking about startin a saltwater tank. . . I have limited room and I know that startin bigger is safer, but I've seen some 29 gal saltwater start-up tanks that look interesting. I guess I'm just askin about the first step. . . picking out a tank, I'm sure if I get a tank I'll be asking a whole lot more questions. any suggestions would be great , thanks
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.06(Tue)4:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with a larger tank. They are easier to manage.
djchristone
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.06(Tue)5:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...if you have limited room, you might as well as get a nano cube or something similar. I prefer jbj nano cube, but of course, there's many different companies that produce many different cubes such as the aquapod. but as always, depends on what kind of set up you want.

head over to nano-reef.com if you're interested.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.06(Tue)13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Atubiez

Well it realy depends on what kind of setup you are aiming at. Considering that you have limited space a Fish Only or Invert Only setup could be the way to go.

Nano reefs are option, but in my opinion they are not the best situation for starting out.

So the question is what are you interested in?
atubiez21666
Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.06(Tue)23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats what I think too. . . the larger the tank , the slower changes in water parameters. the nanocubes always look cool in the stores, but I think that that would require so much care, more so than a slightly bigger tank. plus I'm not so fond of acrylic tanks id like to stick with glass. . . call me old fasioned. thanks
djchristone
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.06.07(Wed)21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

nanos are a lot easier than most people think Razz I started out with my nano and it's doing great. although I bought the classic and am looking for a deluxe lid that someone might have (a lot of people do diy lightins or go for better lighting systems) but yeah. otherweise, nanos are really easy Razz sw is surprisingly easy as well Smile
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.07(Wed)21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

djchristone wrote:
nanos are a lot easier than most people think Razz I started out with my nano and it's doing great. although I bought the classic and am looking for a deluxe lid that someone might have (a lot of people do diy lightins or go for better lighting systems) but yeah. otherweise, nanos are really easy Razz sw is surprisingly easy as well Smile

It is easy to say that when the tank is still new and nothing has had a chance to build up to toxic levels. It is rare to see a nano still healthy for over a year, there is so much that can go wrong...and quickly. Time is the test and larger tanks are easier and that is a fact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.07(Wed)23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed.

A far better statement would be to say that "setting up" a nano tank is suprisingly easy. Managing it long term is not neccisarily so.
Some people also think running a soft coral/polyp tank is easier than SPS but that isn't true either.
Nor is running a large tank particularily easy.
In fact, each system has its benefits and drawbacks. Growing in the hobby means trying to understand, and meet, the dynamics of each system.

The best advice we can give is to be specific when we make statements. ie. this is beneficial in this situation because of this.. or, I do this because of this with these results.

Atubiez, as suggested, it's always better to start with the facts. Determine what the finished product will look like, what do you envision? What type of fauna and/or flora. From there you can begin to research. Differing species of fish and corals have differing environmental needs and will require specific equipment and management strategies to provide for them.

Good luck.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.06.08(Thu)13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Atubiez, as suggested, it's always better to start with the facts. Determine what the finished product will look like, what do you envision? What type of fauna and/or flora. From there you can begin to research. Differing species of fish and corals have differing environmental needs and will require specific equipment and management strategies to provide for them.

Precisely and I'd like to add that, in this process you should also consider your budget as a major constraint (not anticipating this is necessarily a damper, but in many cases it is) of your "Capabilities".

So any ideas yet?
atubiez21666
Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.08(Thu)14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone, the idea I have is to have a small (12 gal or so) sw tank with 2 or 3 small fish, a shrimp of some sort, and a few snails to help clean up. speaking of cost, roughly how much would a set up like that cost?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: