Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How Do You....
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
chatyak
Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.05(Mon)22:39    Post subject: How Do You.... Reply with quote

I am still debating between an acrylic and megaflow overflow aquarium. My primary concern is I would like the tank to last at least 10 years without breaking, leaking, etc....

If I do buy an acrylic aquarium, my question is, do I have to build my own standpipe for return and drain? I would need a detailed instruction guide for this....

Other alternative for me is getting the megaflow overflow because I can buy the accessory kit...

Thanks for knowledgeable input and reasons.

All the Best,
Adrian
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.06(Tue)0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chatyak,

Either a glass or acryllic tank should last you 10 (and many more) years.
The A.G. Megaflow system is nice but it costs a fair bit. You could probably build your own for less but that would require the right tools and being a "handy" person. The only question is how much is doing it yourself worth to you? For some it is rewarding, for others frustration.
To build your own standpipe just google either durso or stockman standpipes. There are many step by step guides out there.

Where do your plans stand now. I can't recall what you wanted to stock in this set up. Are you still entertaining a 120G. display? and what form of filtration have you decided on?

If I had lots of money and didn't like tinkering I would buy that system (and this aquarium).
http://www.masla.com/tank/frankg.html
chatyak
Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.06(Tue)15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am still considering above the 100 gallon range yes. I would like a 150 - 180 if possible. Would you recommend that size for a beginner at saltwater? As far as do it yourself is concerned, I am not very "handy" except with electronics and I don't have the proper tools to be cutting, etc....

Filtration I am 98% positive for an internal overflow ( 2 is better in case one has problems) and a sump. As for all the links I have been given for a sump I still find it a little confusing on what material I should buy to build my own. I want to keep it basic and have the water come down over crushed coral bits to reduce microbubbles then into the refugium then the protein skimmer and back up into tank.

I really loves the sumps on melvsreefs site and I might resort to having him make one..... but I would like to see if I could make one as well. Perhaps using a rectangular clear rubbermaid container and then finding something to use as baffles.

I would like to start with beginner corals and fish:

General plans are.........

clownfish
blue regal
yellow tang
powder blue tang
achilles tang ( just kidding Laughing)
red linkia starfish or blue linkia
2 cleaner shrimps
bloodfire shrimp?
some fish to eat bristle worms or other nasties - hawkfish?
long nose butterfly

Adrian
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.06.06(Tue)18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glass or acrylic, 180 gallons can be a handful for a beginner... if I were a novice and putting something like that in my house I would not be making ANY of the parts; standpipes, overflows, valves, fittings, bulkheads, etc. all of these can be problematic if not designed and produced correctly; in some cases they can be a disaster... hire a pro or seek assistance from a local LFS to set this big system up for you and get it done right. Waking up in the night to 180 gallons of salt water on your floor is not a pleasant thing... just my 2 cents.
chatyak
Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.06(Tue)18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

FloridaBoy wrote:
Glass or acrylic, 180 gallons can be a handful for a beginner... if I were a novice and putting something like that in my house I would not be making ANY of the parts; standpipes, overflows, valves, fittings, bulkheads, etc. all of these can be problematic if not designed and produced correctly; in some cases they can be a disaster... hire a pro or seek assistance from a local LFS to set this big system up for you and get it done right. Waking up in the night to 180 gallons of salt water on your floor is not a pleasant thing... just my 2 cents.

I guess that leaves me with Megaflow Laughing

Are there any acrylic systems that come with standpipes pre made like all glass?

Also... does this tank have a good standpipe set up - thoughts on this kind (doesn't have to be this big)

http://cgi.ebay.com/252-Reef-Ready-Acrylic-Aquarium-Fish-Tank_W0QQitemZ7771794166QQihZ018QQcategoryZ20755QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
All the best,
Adrian
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.06(Tue)23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adrian,

Good, you've narrowed your options down by eliminating what you don't want (ie. D.I.Y.).

For the tank:
Keep it simple. Buy a recognised manufacturer brand. It will have all the neccisary parts available. If you are really going to buy a big tank, go into the store and tell them you want a reef ready display, setup with standpipes, overflow and return lines. Have your return pump brand and size available so they can match line sizes. In fact, ask the store if they will install it. Most stores should do so to make a big sale as they ought to know you will be spending thousands on it in the future. In fact, use the installation as a bargaining tool. If the store seems uninterested go somewhere else.

* For a big ticket item like this I would always buy from a "real" store. It allows for face to face discussions and easy returns if something is amiss. I have heard and seen many horror stories in regards to fishtank deliveries (cracked/chipped/scatched glass, bubbles in silicone/glass, wrong size, holes in wrong spot...). If something is wrong, how do you return a 150G. tank over the net? Who pays the shipping? How do you pursue the vendor?

For the sump: Try to forget the rubbermaid scenario. Those bins work OK if you aren't using baffles but they flex too much and no adhesive will make the baffles hold. For a $1000 - $2000 display spend a hundred or so on a 55G. long (just make sure the stand can house it). You will have room for the overflow, skimmer, refugium (if you want) and return chamber.. and the baffles will stay put.
The sump can also be very simple. Just a watertight box to house the skimmer. Make a compartment to house some macro algae if you want. Add some baffles to remove microbubbles after the skimmer and that's it. The rest is just fancyness.
If it's your first S.W. tank, keep it simple and bulletproof, with few gadgets. Spend all your money on a quality skimmer and rock.

Go to the store, see what they say.
By the way, what geographic region do you live in? Perhaps someone knows a good retail outlet near you.
chatyak
Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.07(Wed)16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thanks Dale,

I'm in the lower southern Ontario region. Niagara region.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.06.07(Wed)22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say the Canadians are taking over. I just can't figure out if it's because we're so nice, so good looking or just so smart??? Very Happy

See if there is a Big Als near you. I've heard that the one out here does installations.

Good luck.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: