Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
fish tank stand
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
cory dawg
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.02(Tue)14:43    Post subject: fish tank stand Reply with quote

Anybody have any advice on a fish tank stand that will be holding two 29 gallon tanks and either three 10 gallon or one 33 gallon tank?
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.05(Fri)10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a stand for my 29 out of angel iron and some square metal tubing...
20 gallon coustom headboard tank planted
125g Planted/Discus (group tank)
richiestang_78
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.12(Fri)1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah metal would probably be the best option but if you can't work with metal wood would be another option. Just remember the stand must be very well built as evern 30gals of water weighs 250pounds.
nibbles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.13(Sat)2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always say 10g = 10 pounds..

then consider gravel too..

I'm paranoid when it comes to tank stands.. so be sure to build it as strong as possible, with as many supports as you can.

I would do the 2 29gs on the bottom, and the 10gs/33g on the top..

thats almost 1000 pounds.. so youre going to have to build an extremely strong stand.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.05.13(Sat)23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

nibbles wrote:

With only water it's more like 83.4 pounds considering 1 gallon of water weighs about 8.338 pounds at 62 degrees F. Then, eproximate how much sand/gravel/rock you also have in it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using wood to make your stand. There are plenty of good designs available on the net by googling diy tank stand.
falconblack
Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.26(Fri)15:06    Post subject: Tank Stand Reply with quote

I built mine for my 90 gallon and approximated the weight at 1300lbs. with substrate gravel equipment etc.I used 2x2 using 3 upright for the front wall and 3 for the back wall and of course your top and bottom rail.On the sides I used 2 upright for each side and top and bottom rails.Then I used good one side 3/4"plywood for the top and bottom.Screwed and glued everything and the got a cabinet shop to finish the outside with 3/4"maple plywood and add to doors to hide the equipment and a shelf on one side for supplies.Total cost $200.00 and will hold 1900lbs. no problem according to engineering manual.Way better built then anything I could find and looks like a peice of furniture in my livingroom.Just besure to make all cuts the same length as it has to be level all over to ensure even tank pressure.My finished height is 31"high. Cool
janicepatio1
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.12(Sat)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah metal would apparently be the best advantage but if you can't plan with metal copse would be addition option. Just bethink the angle have to be actual able-bodied congenital as even 30gals of baptize weighs 250pounds.

New Members

PostPosted: 2009.10.20(Tue)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

A 30 gallon ish tank/tanks, hmmm...I have a 35 gallon tank that has a wrought iron stand, but I usually find stands at Goodwill or Value Village. Depending on the size, my general rule is that if I can sit on it and shake, jump, bounce, etc. and it doesn't wobble, it's good.

Since some people include gravel weight, I also like to think about filters, lights, skimmers, etc. It's all pretty heavy.

One of my favorite quotes is "If it can hold books, then it can hold fish". Very Happy

Smile Anne
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.20(Tue)20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that the finer the substrate is, the closer together the granules will be, taking up more space, and therefore causing the tank to weigh more. So, sand, for example, weighs more than river pebbles.
blackjack06 wrote:
nibbles wrote:

With only water it's more like 83.4 pounds considering 1 gallon of water weighs about 8.338 pounds at 62 degrees F. Then, eproximate how much sand/gravel/rock you also have in it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using wood to make your stand. There are plenty of good designs available on the net by googling diy tank stand.

29 G
Bruiser
Members

PostPosted: 2009.12.30(Wed)22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I've built quite a few stands for myself and friends. I'm gonna start on another one for a 10g Q tank tomorrow or the day after, If your still in need of some ideas/direction I can take lots of pics and give you kind of a step by step if you'd like..

I build a fairly light (depending on tank size) steel frame. And then If I'm going to leave it at that, I paint it and dress it up nice,maybe add a shelf. Or I'll sheet the steel with some thin cheap nice looking laminate press board or something to hide the steel. In which case I would probably then add a couple doors and again maybe a shelf for some storage..

Then you have a cheap decent looking stand that you don't have to worry about falling apart under the weight of your tank.

Let me know, and if yah want, I'lll take my camera to the shop with me!
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: