Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How warm is too warm for outdoor guppies?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Maura
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.19(Wed)6:54    Post subject: How warm is too warm for outdoor guppies? Reply with quote

I have three tubs going outside right now two are in the shade and one is in full sun. Yesterday when I went to check on them, the one that's in full sun was quite warm. It has a lotus and a couple of small water lettuce. Right now the Lotus only has 4 floating leaves, and the water lettuce are quite small - so the plant material is not yet shading the water. The guppies weren't showing any signs of distress yet, but the weather is going to get a lot warmer before the lotus sends up enough large leaves to shade the water sufficiently.

What is the highest temperature you think guppies could take comfortably?
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.20(Thu)9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest Maura, guppies are quite hardy and could probably/theoretically endure temps of up to 29-30˚C, but I strongly suggest no higher than 26-27˚C in the long run.

Remember heat speeds up their metabolic cycle which = decreases in the life span of your guppies, and at higher temps they will require more food.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: