Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Austrolebias nigripinnis'Villa Soriano'
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.02(Sun)22:16    Post subject: Austrolebias nigripinnis'Villa Soriano' Reply with quote

The spawning container Laughing (2 liter soda bottle).

Today I stuck both males in to see what would happen. Male on the left ended up victorious after intense displaying and some fighting, but nothing too serious. Impressive since he was the second male introduced after the first male had 2 dives with the female. Soon as he was in the first immediately challenged him. Afterward I removed the first male and left the male on the left in with the female. Guess I will be using him most frequently for breeding from here on out. Perhaps a way of selecting the better fish?

Dominant male, now trying to convince the female to give just a few extra eggs. He would stick himself into the peat head first waving his tail and if the female was convinced she would do a headstand beside him and they would both "dig" into the peat.

Apologies about the photo quality but taking photos into a soda bottle using a desk lamp for lighting(hence the yellow/green look) doesn't work to well. In life the fish are a kind of purplish black with green or blue irridescence and blue spots.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
Ryan Yates
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.04.03(Mon)2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting fish. Are they annuals?

I've been thinking about getting into killifish myself, which species would you recommend?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.03(Mon)13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice litle experiment there and the pics although not best notch they are still displaying a very beautiful fish and you can see clearly the dominant one. What species is this? And how soft is the water in the "Spawning Container"?
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.03(Mon)20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan: Yep these are annual killies in that the eggs require dry incubation for 2 months or so. Austrolebias nigripinnis(black finned pearlfish). It would be hard to reccomend a species for someone as tastes differ a lot. Look around killifish websites and see what appeals to you. Some people like fish that require more maintenance while some like those fish that do not need much to keep going. While it has very little information one of the best galleries of killi photos qualitywise(he has some great looking fish!) I've seen is www.alfanita.com aka.org also has a pretty extensive gallery and if you can get into the members section a few members have smaller galleries with some species not in the public gallery.

Ciklido J. R: They are Austrolebias nigripinnis, a killifish from Southern South America(Argentina, Uruguay, etc.). The water in the spawning container was just plain ol tap water...in my area it comes out at around KH/GH of 8 I believe. pH of 7.5
plus all kinds of smaller containers
Ryan Yates
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.04.06(Thu)3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, it has many great photo's.

I saw A. australe, Fp. gardneri and A. striatum at my LFS... Do you have any preference out of those three?
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: