Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Who here wears gloves when cleaning your aquarium?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic

Do you wear gloves when perfoming maintenance on your tank?
Yes
5%
 5%  [ 7 ]
No
94%
 94%  [ 132 ]
Total Votes : 139

Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2006.03.18(Sat)8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more worried about what the fish can get from be, than vice-versa. I don't wear gloves. I might if I had an open cut at a time when I had to do a water change, but that's not happened yet.

That being said, I've gotten rashes from either cyanobacteria or anaerobic bacteria, or both--not exactly sure. But I got that when I was doing very extensive cleaning and my exposure was quite prolonged--like during 60-75% water changes or more, uprooting/replanting, whatever--taking an hour or so. Normal maintenance doesn't seem to be a problem because normal maintenance takes less time. Besides washing my hands thoroughly, I try to remember to use hand sanitizer afterward as well, as a precaution.
Rosiearizona
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.18(Sat)8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 6 tanks and in 5 of them I don't use gloves. In my tank with bloodparrots, I wear them occasionally, as my 2 girls love to hickey kiss my arms if they are feeling frisky. It never breaks the skin but just kind of creepy feeling, the water gets in them, but it keeps the fish away and thats my purpose.
Blair
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.03.18(Sat)13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't were gloves; unless there is a killer disease I will start to wear gloves. But I always wash my hands after doing maintenence (sp).
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.18(Sat)13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether you wear gloves to clean your tanks or not....one thing is for sure and that is to ALWAYS wash your hands before and/or after each tank.....especially if you have more than one tank.....reason being you can transfer diseases (like ick ect) from one tank to another if you don't wash your hands after each individual tank (found that out the hard way) Even doing water changes......rinse off the buckets and tools you use before you put it in the other tank......it is just healthier for you and your fish and that way you know you are contaminating your other tanks
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Jump to: