Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Kinds of gold fish, and other questions
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
cichlid_stew_06
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.21(Tue)21:25    Post subject: Kinds of gold fish, and other questions Reply with quote

What is a good kind of goldfish to put in a 55 gal? I would like a pretty good sized one. it would need to be very responsive, and can live to be very old. would it be able to live with angelfish and rainbows? can I feed it tropical fish flakes and tubifex worms? I am new to the goldfish part of the hobby and I would like to know much. thanks
no 1 cool dude
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.22(Wed)1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I would recommend getting 2 Shubunkins as I think they are the most beautiful goldfish in the world. They are owner responsive and get very excited during feeding time Very Happy . I think they will be alright with your Angels and Rainbow fish because Goldfish grow to be 20cm which will be the biggest fish in your tank. The temp in your tank should be 25 C at the very most.

Hope this helps.

Craig
cichlid_stew_06
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.22(Wed)13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I am still going to think about which kind of goldfish I want. Very Happy
TJ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.22(Wed)15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

cichlid_stew_06 wrote:
thanks, I am still going to think about which kind of goldfish I want. Very Happy

Forget the goldfish if the tank is tropical. Plus, they probably won't work with rainbows and angels. They require different food, different water temp and more. So don't get a goldfish if you have a tropical tank!
cichlid_stew_06
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.22(Wed)20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would they eat different foods? can't I feed them tubifex and blood worms? it would be different to have a goldfish in a tropical tank too.
grapeape
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.22(Wed)20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also shubunkins, comets and commons will get a lot bigger than 20cm. mine is over 30 cm right now. The reason you can't put them in a tropical tank isbecause they are a coldwater fish.
TJ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.23(Thu)8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

grapeape wrote:
Also shubunkins, comets and commons will get a lot bigger than 20cm. mine is over 30 cm right now. The reason you can't put them in a tropical tank isbecause they are a coldwater fish.

IME shubunkins, comets and commons arent apporpriate for smaller tanks. I have all 3 species in my 2500 gallon pond, they are very active! I can't see an adult be happy in a 4 foot tank. Fan tails IMO are more aquarium fish than pond but goldfish ARE NOT TROPICAL!
cichlid_stew_06
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.23(Thu)20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright alright I understand.... they will NOT work. I am not going to worry about getting a goldfish then yet. but thanks everyone for all of your help.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.02.25(Sat)4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gold fish ponds fluctuate between 21˚C and 16˚C. My goldfish tank on the other hand stays at about 23˚C and I keep my tropical community tank at about 23 - 25˚C so I could put goldfish in there, it depends on your tropical tank temp.

But IMO it's better to keep just gold fish in a tank of there own no plecos, no loaches just Goldies.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: