Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10 sure ways to ruin your 10G setup!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)2:50    Post subject: 10 sure ways to ruin your 10G setup! Reply with quote

Do you have a nice 10G setup? Is it boring because it's correctly set up, the fish are healthy and nothing bad ever happens? Here are some great suggestions, any one of which is guaranteed for you to create an imminent, thrilling disaster scenario so you can soon come to the board screaming for help:

1. Add a Bala Shark "because it's still small."

2. Add a Kissing Gourami "because it's still small."

3. Add a Common Pleco "because it's still small."

4. Add a Redtailed/Redfinned Shark "because it's still small."

5. Add a Clown Loach "because it's still small, and besides they grow slowly."

6. Add any species whose adult size is larger than 10 cm "because it's still small, and fish grow to the size of the tank."

7. Add an Oscar "because it's still small, and I'm going to set up a larger tank for him soon."

8. Add a few Assorted African Cichlids from the Assorted African Cichlids tank in your LFS "because they're still small, and overstocking cichlids makes them less aggressive."

9. Add more fish when people on the board are advising you not to, "because they're still small, and I'm within the 1 inch per gallon rule."

10. Add any fish that people on the board are advising you not to, "because they're still small, and the Fish Shop guy said I could."

Rolling Eyes

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...

Last edited by Marcos Avila on 2006.03.21(Tue)0:08; edited 6 times in total
lindak
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.27(Fri)10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen Brother!

11. Don't read anything in the aricles section, just keep asking the same things over and over again.
touie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.29(Sun)16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn! I guess I need to find a new home for my red tailed cat then! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ultra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.30(Mon)6:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticky this! This happens all the time on here.
Goneelsewhere
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.30(Mon)8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with Ultra, this one needs adding to the Freshwater basics as a sticky. Although point no.1 is an all too common occurence and people just don't seem to get the message. Point no.8 is the recipe for a war, especially if one of those Africans is a melanochromis! Rolling Eyes
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.02.05(Sun)7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is the reason I don't let my dad come with me to the fish store anymore. he always ends up telling me to buy half the store's stock for my 20 gal. including: 4 common plecos, 6 clown loaches, 4 kissing gouramis, and an assortment of other fish that will be fine because it will "take years to reach adult lengh"
Maura
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.02.07(Tue)11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh don't forget us plant geeks:

12. Add a bunch of Mondo Grass to the tank, because if they sell it at the local chain store, that means it's an aquatic plant, regardless of what people on the planted tanks board tell you.
Gaza
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.14(Tue)11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
13. you can put two male bettas because "the guy at the store said they can live with each other"
14.add 6 male and 12 female guppies because"they don't breed often"
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
JayJay65
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.21(Tue)17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sensing.. just a little bit of anger coming from you marcos.. ran into an expeirence with this???

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=29952
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Katie C
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.24(Fri)14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know....I'd have to say (being new to this hobby and board and all) I see all of your points and I agree to an extent. When I went and bought my 10 gallon I went on what the guy at the store said and on what my boyfriend said, "Just get a tank, put the fish in and feed them - that is it" (I do have to say his fish all died with in 6 months and his comment on that was "well that is what fish do") Also they said what would live together well but never stated that the 2 neon tetras and 2 red-phantom tetras needed to be in schools of 5+. Next thing I knew I had a depressed neon....bought more....now I have a WAY overful tank. (I currently cycling a 55 gallon to correct that mistake and will be using the 10 gallon as a quarintine tank or a breeder tank.) I did read the information on this site and I have asked questions that seem obvious to those more advanced hobbiest. But, if I hadn't asked those "obvious" questions I wouldn't have found out what I was doing wrong and find where to SPECIFICALLY look for the answers. I know now I should have done this research before I bought a tank.....but hind-sight is 20/20. Since, I have done hours of research on several different sites and magazines....I even bought a book or 2. I still have questions on situations that are happening in order to get advice from more experienced hobbiest and to receive information on where I can do research to find out for myself. Because of those annoying, irritating, and OBVIOUS questions I am now rectifying most of my problems and screw ups and I'm learning more and more everyday to ENJOY this hobby and have happy, healthy fish that will live far longer then My BF's.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to: