Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
2010 Season Monthly Photo Contest Rules!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.20(Fri)9:02    Post subject: 2010 Season Monthly Photo Contest Rules! Reply with quote

Let us begin the 2010 season of our just-for-fun, themed photo contests!

Here are the rules for this year:

On the contest objectives
  • The spirit of these photo contests is essentially that of an entertaining pastime among online friends who share a common interest...that of exchanging photos, ideas, tips and techniques, and becoming better and better aquarium fish photographers through constructive criticism and friendly words of incentive and inspiration.

• It is not an objective of these contests to foment disputes and competitiveness, nor the distribution of material prizes.

On the contest dynamics: [list][*]The challenges are monthly, so that participants may have more time to take/prepare their photos;

[*]Suggestions of themes within the scope of the hobby are very welcome (see the specific topic for that), however the choice of the theme for each month lies upon the administration's discretion;

[*]When a contest is launched, it is marked by the tag [OPEN], and members will have about four weeks to enter their photos. The deadline is mentioned in each contest.

[*]Each member interested in participating should reply to the topic and enter a photo, which must appear embedded on the message itself (not a link) during the entire contest.

[*]Messages without photos at this stage will be deleted, since comments are only allowed during the voting period;

[*]At the end of the entry period, the administration will open the two-week voting phase, when all valid photos will be numbered. The topic will receive the label [VOTING], and any message posted in this phase must necessarily contain a valid vote;

[*]Each member wishing to vote will post a reply in the topic, declaring 3 favorite photos, in descending order of preference. The choices will receive 3, 2, and 1 points respectively. We also encourage the voters to add comments justifying their choices and praises and/or consctructive criticism to those that weren't chosen;

[*]At the end of the voting phase, the administration adds up the score and declares the winners. The topic receives the label [Results]; and the topic becomes open for participants, voters and any other member of the board to comment at will;

On the contest rules:
  • Each participant can only enter 1 photo in each contest;

• You must have taken the photo yourself, but the photographed subject(s) need not be yours;

• Winning photos of previous contests along the year may not be entered in the following ones;

• In order to be posted on the message, the photo must have a maximum resolution of 800 pixels in either direction. If you enter a thumbnail linked to a larger image, it's the thumbnail that is competing and the link will be removed.

• Together with your entry, try to post a short text telling details, peculiarities or anything interesting about it. This can often raise more interest and votes. If pertinent, also describe the camera, settings and techniques used to take the photo and adjust the image.

• Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the judgment criteria are personal to each voter. However, we expect that when voting you will take into consideration the three basic elements of any good photo: compatibility with the proposed theme, attractiveness of the composition, and technical quality (focus, framing, lighting, exposure, etc). Let's not turn the competition into who has the most expensive equipment, or the rarest species, or the most friends on the board!

• Digital processing (as in Photoshop) is encouraged, but with restraint.
    Adjustments in brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, sharpness and resize are very welcome. Images with clear "photo-chopping" (removal or inclusion of elements, artistic filters other than the addition of borders, etc.) will be disqualified.

• Changing entries is acceptable. If you decide you have a better photo, you may replace your present one up until the moment the voting period begins.

• To ensure a fair and representative voting result, we ask that your choices be made spontaneously and sincerely, always with regards to the photos themselves, and not allowing that your level of affinity with the photographers skew your choices. We also ask the participants not to engage in any type of campaign to receive votes.

• Members participating in the contest cannot vote on their own photo;

• By entering a photo in a contest, the participant automatically claims that he/she owns the copyright of that image. He/she also agrees to keep it available until the end of the year, and that it may be copied into, and used anywhere within, the aquahobby.com domain as deemed appropriate by the administration.

We're looking forward to seeing your photos! Smile

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...

Last edited by Marcos Avila on 2010.02.18(Thu)10:22; edited 15 times in total
davidk
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.20(Fri)12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very exciting! I look foward to a category that I can participate in. Cool
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.20(Fri)14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to a theme about Gouramis; I've got some great pics!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.20(Fri)14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay cichlids my tank is perfect!, I problaby won't win but il try.I m so ecxited for all the possible themes that can be done.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.20(Fri)18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidk wrote:
Very exciting! I look foward to a category that I can participate in. Cool

Note that the contest rules state that the PHOTO must be taken by you, but the photographed FISH doesn't have to be. Since the entry phase in each contest is about 2 weeks, there's always enough time to go to a friend's house or even the local fish shop and take your photo there! Smile

Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.23(Mon)14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

oo wow I didn't know you could even go to the LFS and take the picture there. Maybe il try it although the most satisfaction comes from you're own tank, what if some professional photographer wins and he is not a fish keeper, hehe il just try my best.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.23(Mon)19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciklido wrote:
oo wow I didn't know you could even go to the LFS and take the picture there.

Of course, you must ask permission first and they have every right to deny it, but usually if you're a regular customer and friends with the management they'll let you do it. The very first Tank of the Month photos here on the site [June 1998] I took myself from a LFS where I lived at the time.
ciklido wrote:
What if some professional photographer wins and he is not a fish keeper, hehe

Then so be it...these contests aren't a measurement of one's fishkeeping abilities Wink

ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2006.09.14(Thu)21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to browse through past winners. Is there an archive somewhere? I didn't see it on a quick look 'round... Thanks in advance. Very Happy
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.09.14(Thu)22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a topic by Zeco in the Best of the Board forum with First to Third places in each contest.

If you want to see all the contests, search the board for the keywords "Contest Results", with the "Search for all terms" radio button selected.

Agent Zero
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.26(Mon)16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciklido wrote:
What if some professional photographer wins and he is not a fish keeper, hehe

Then so be it...these contests aren't a measurement of one's fishkeeping abilities Wink[/quote]

I dispute this... Healthier Fish are happier fish and happier fish are better looking.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: