Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Opinions! Need Help.What is this??
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jeLcoke
Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.13(Fri)8:27    Post subject: Opinions! Need Help.What is this?? Reply with quote

I recently, two days ago, created a DIY co2 reactor
And two things are happening now.

1) There is a milking kind of white residue building up on the side of my tank, on the glass...I can rub it off, almost like wet kleenex is what it seems like.
2) a strange substance is now covering the entire surface of my water, I mean completely covering the surface, when I make some motion on the water some of it sinks but most of it just stays there. I can only describe this surface covering substance like this: it looks like peeled,dead skin floating all over the surface of my tank...
HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP
If anyone can help I would appreciate it.....I am losing my mind!

What would you do if this was happening to you? Opinions on what I should do please????

P.S. I have no fish in the tank yet, only some java moss, dwarf sword, driftwood from Big Al's, couple of misc plants aswell
Quaid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.17(Tue)23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) The milky substance is a (normal) biological colony that just so happens to thrive in CO2 reactors.

2) The surface film is not normal. You need to provide more information such as colour, consistency, etc. A picture is worth a thousand words.

If you are cycling and that is why there are no fish, what is your source of ammonia?

If you are cycling, do two or three 25% water changes.
Otherwise do one 50% water change.

The water change should not solve the problem, but it should help aleviate the stress on the system.

If you are going to take pictures, take them first before the water change.
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.18(Wed)0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of times the mixture from the DIY injectors will leak into the tank, though its hard to say why it did it sometimes. If that happens I usually just redo the mixture and make sure the powerhead is working correctly
20 gallon coustom headboard tank planted
125g Planted/Discus (group tank)
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: