Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
In-wall aquarium?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Badfrog
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.09(Wed)12:36    Post subject: In-wall aquarium? Reply with quote

I have this big, blank wall behind the couch in my living room and a 125 gallon tank that's sitting in the back room where no one can see it. This weekend I had a vision of fish swimming on this wall, and decided it might be cool to try building the thing into the wall behind the couch. This particular wall is on the ground floor, is a curtain wall (non-support), and backs on a storage/HVAC room so there's plenty of depth to work with. There's a little matter of moving a water heater out of the way (really shouldn't be too big a deal), but once that's done, it should be a pretty straightforward framing/drywall project.

I'm currently thinking of recessing the entire thing behind this wall and framing (trimming) the resulting hole somehow to hide the tank edges, so that the thing would look like a big living picture. Should be lots of fun, and I plan to document the whole thing for posterity here.

Since I'm still in the preliminary planning stages though, I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience attempting something like this, or has seen it attempted. If so, please share any experiences, particularly nasty suprises, things that didn't go quite as planned, or erroneous assumptions that were made. I'd appreciate it as it'll definitely make my project go more smoothly.

Thanks!
buz2au
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.09(Wed)20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Badfrog,

I
Badfrog
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.10(Thu)16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Buz,

Hey, cool, a pro! Cool

Would you happen to have any photos of your work that I could inspire myself from? I'm still thinking about how to finish around the tank on the living room side. Most of what I see on the web are either prefab "picture tanks" or have part of the tank and stand come out in the room, which isn't what I'm planning currently -- part of the deal I made with Ms. Frog was that our couch would go in front of and below the tank, hard to do if it sticks out in the room.

I'm also trying to decide whether I should try using the existing steel stand or try to custom build supports for it in the hvac room. The existing stand has an advantage in that I know I can get it level, but I don't know if I can get the tank and it flush against the wall.

With a setup like this, should I worry about splash damage on the drywall? Is there something I can do to seal it?

There aren't any cabling issues, just a water heater to move about 5 feet to the right and some shelving to remove from the backside. As HVAC rooms go, this one is a huge waste of space, at 12x10 it's almost big enough for a bedroom! The floor is cement, this is in the basement. I'm certain the wall is not structurally important as it runs beneath my home's steel support beam, the spot I'm looking at is about mid-span between 2 of the three support posts. I plan to do some extra framing around the cutout for support -- the tank is 6 feet long, so I'll be cutting thru at least two wall studs.
buz2au
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.10(Thu)21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi badfrog,

Sorry no pic at hand, but 2 that I liked were,

A salt water tank 12
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.14(Sat)12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this example out

http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0402.php
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: