Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Marine Pond is it possible.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Higgy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.09(Wed)16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also take into consideration the Salt Lake of Utah and the Dead Sea. Why are these two bodies of water so salty? They have no outlet. They are landlocked. The water evaporates and rainwater puts it back but the lack of outflows don't allow for all the hard chemicals to be flushed out and salt (like many other mineral deposits) don't evaporate. I don't know how much this would be effected in the sense of a pond with filtration, owner care, and a substantially smaller volume of water to contend with than either the Salt Lake or the Dead Sea.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.11.10(Thu)1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey higgy, good point!
Of course the process of evaporation happens in a marine tank but not to the degree that would occur in an outdoor pond. One would need to make regular salinity tests and adjust with fresh H20.
On another point, many people maintain cold water tanks by using chillers. I think the same technology would apply in this case. Cold water set ups can be very cool (ugh Rolling Eyes ). I live close to the Gulf/jaun de fuca islands and often observe a wide array of flora and fauna. Our public aquarium also has a good display of temperate marine environments.
Oscer, I think that you should crunch the numbers to find the best breakeven point in terms of monetary investment vs enjoyment. If you have to purchase chillers and filtration systems you may want a pond large enough to seem worthwhile. I guess the size would also be dependant on your supply of sea water. If you can stock via the sea it would be cheaper than having to buy all that salt though real seawater poses the risk of contamination to your pond.
Oh well, points to ponder.
Good luck!
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.11.10(Thu)11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the warnings, but I have taken in to consideration most of the factors mentioned.

Scottsws, I understand your concern about the temp. but there is a deference between the Offshore reef tank and the Tidal pool/Rock pool tank. The Offshore reef is about 16-18*c / 60-64*f depending where you go and normally houses bigger fish and more invertebrates than the Rock pool. The rock pool normally houses smaller fish or babies of the bigger fish eg. Grey Mullet. In my experience I have found that most rock pool fish + invertebrates can live at temp. of up to 24*c/75*f as long as it varies at night, but don't recommend this Exclamation I have been measuring the temp. of my other ponds (fresh water) over a few days (warmest day was 32*c/90*f it doesn
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.12.02(Fri)14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problems are occurring. I collected some specimens for my new pond, but had to move them to the conservatory, which was OK; because we had had a few cool days lately. The next day it was hot, very hot, and I lost two inverts and one fish; not a go start hy Sad
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.12.04(Sun)9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

All is OK; I moved them back to a cool place. I just made a DIY skimmer for the container, do you think I would need one for the pond, probably hy Question
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: