Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
feeder guppies/misqutio fish
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fishy89
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)12:42    Post subject: feeder guppies/misqutio fish Reply with quote

will feeder guppies live year round in my garden pond ? 1 more question were can I purchase misqutio fishand will they live year round in my garden pond I live in north eastin us so it does get cold in winter Question
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.17(Thu)23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fishy89,
Guppies are tropical so nix to that.
Mosquito fish are said to be able to survive near freezing temp's but you will experience sub freezing so nix to that.
Ouch!
Do a google search for mosquito fish as there is some concern over their invasive nature in the wild.
Good luck!
marktman
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feeder guppies are only like 10 cents each, or something like that. Why not just restock every spring? I have found one feeder that does well in the nothern pond. The fish store calls them rosy red feeders. They survived this past winter in southern Ohio. Just don't feed them when it starts getting cold.
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosquito fish can be purchased through this place. I don't know if they have a certain limit or what. But they do have them.

http://www.azgardens.com/
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I would skip the mosquitofish. We have hordes of them in misc ponds at the zoo, and they are some of the most bland fish I have ever seen; they do fine in our AZ winters and summers, but I don't know how great they would do in actual cold water.

Ours are aggressive little buggers; when we had some in the feeder goldie tank, the goldfish ended up minus all fins and some eyes in short time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger AIM Address
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosquitofish would work, but as Taratron said certainly are not that interesting. They have a real chip on the shoulder attitude and seem to like randomly nipping at other fish. Maybe if they were more attractive that would be tolerated by me. Also, while they sure can survive cold water, they don't like it. When I had them in my ponds(and this agrees with what a few others have said) the winter took a large toll on the population. Come fall I would have dozens and dozens of them...by next spring only a few fish which managed to survive. Of course, summer came and they again started reproducing like crazy.

Rosy reds would work well in a small pond. Not too sure where you are or how large the pond is but I'm sure their are a few natives that would like it too.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do some Googling on weather loaches. Those might work too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger AIM Address
honmol

PostPosted: 2005.10.14(Fri)1:03    Post subject: Guppy Feeders Reply with quote

Well, I'm not sure about your situation but I live in San Diego and keep a pond with guppies, ghost shrimp, snails, and a tadpole on my patio. They're doing great and I have had no problems with disease. The only problem was that it got overpopulated. They do fine in a pond and are very hardy. I didn't even intend to breed. I do nothing special for the fry. No special foods or separate tanks. I know that it's odd but my guppies are healthier than ever and do amazingly well. They're the most beautiful guppies I've ever seen. If you have any questions just ask.
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.10.15(Sat)22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the northeast and have a pond with commons.They are very cold tolerant. I would give each fish at least 20 gallons. In the fall cover with a leaf net. Feed with wheat germ in fall and spring. Stop feeding when temps go below 50 deg. Be sure to use a de-icer in winter to remove toxic gases.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.11.22(Tue)8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Taratron, the weather loaches are great and interesting and will probably work with all fish mentioned. Smile
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: