Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Driftwood
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ksls
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.18(Sun)9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay it has now been 4 weeks and the driftwood is still drifting. lol I have it in a rubbermaid container with a huge stone on it to make sure it is completely submerged. Man does this stuff take a long time to sink. I am starting to get really impatient. Anyone have any good ideas to help speed up the process??
socko12345
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.29(Thu)20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try drilling some small holes (so they won't be too noticable) in the wood, and watching to see if bubbles come out.
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.07(Mon)14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pices of wood just floating on the surface of my tank like a tree hanging in the water. it reminds me of a hide out for bass and catfish would have in the wild my fish love to hang out under it and I love seeing it in there that way for the reason it does look like a hanging tree in the wild. to me this is better then the dwraf wood because it don't change the color of the water and with the moss being on it it looks more ture to live then the dwarf wood in the bottom of the tanl.

but to each there own
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.11.07(Mon)16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can take a couple of months to get some wood to sink, depending on the wood.

The piece I put in my tank was dry, so it took 3 months to get it to sink. Just have to be patient, or do the following.

You can take a piece of slate and silicone to the bottom of the piece of wood to help hold it down, then cover the slate with substrate.
Higgy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.07(Mon)17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the size of the wood in question you can bury the ends in gravel to keep it down too. You just have to be careful because any small disturbance can send it shooting to the surface again.
Raggamuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.08(Tue)3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually attatched a terracotter tile that we had left over from our floor to a peice of wood to get it to stand up. I used brass screws so hopfully they won't rust.
Jose
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.09(Wed)0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never found any wood for aquariums that would float for longer than a couple of days, I would love a piece to float in my amazon tank with some riccia or java moss hanging off it. I can only get bogwood and that sinks very quickly usually. Just silicon a few large pebbles to the underside it doesn't effect pH or Gh (unless you use calcareous rocks)
Charlie Foxtrot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.14(Mon)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got started a couple of years ago, I messed with tying java moss to wine corks. Only problem was I couldn't get the moss to stay tied to the cork so most of my tanks have one or two random corks floating in them. They are handy for when I'm cycling a new tank and want to seed it with nitrifying bacteria.
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.16(Wed)13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

the wood thats floatig in my tank is cottonwood tree and the inside of the branch thats floating is almost like cork in away and it's been floating for going a year and ahalf. I have 10 more peices of it if anybody wants some floating wood for there tank. Just pm me or e-mail me. The out side is bark free and there's some dark colored and some lighter dark and 2 peices really light in color.

If you are looking for floating wood cotton wood tree the wood when it diyes has a cork like inside after a few yearsfrom the time the tree diyes.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: