Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New tank hood
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
alpha66
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.10.15(Sat)19:48    Post subject: New tank hood Reply with quote

Well, I got my new canister filter up and running, and tossed those Eclipse peices of...hardware. Actually I'm probably going to keep one for my 20 gallon quarantine tank that I need to set up. I'm really pleased with this new filter, it completely eradicated the murkiness, but it presents another problem (I don't think the cycle will ever end Sad ). The Eclipse filters were contained in a hood, and with them gone, I have an open top tank. Now, my engineering skills are not the greatest, but I'm willing to try and make a cheap hood. I am assuming that a peice of standard transparent acrylic would be a practical solution. I could be wrong though, as usually is the case.
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.10.15(Sat)22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can indeed make a cover out of acrylic. Little trick I learned when cutting acrylic/plexiglass... Put some masking tape on it about where you want your cut to be, and then draw your cut line on the tape. It keeps the edges from getting chipped up when the jigsaw blade is going through it. Just take it nice and slow, and you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck!

J.B.
gardentoad
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.10.17(Mon)20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how thick your acrylic is and how big the opening is. Plexiglass has a tendancy to sag especially if it's 1/4 " or less thick . It's okay with a small piece for a small tank, otherwise I'd get a piece of triple or at least double strenght glass cut for it.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: