Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
building an aquarium background with styrafoam + cement
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bigfishguy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.25(Sun)18:15    Post subject: building an aquarium background with styrafoam + cement Reply with quote

Hi all,

I built an awesome tank that looked like the inside of a cave. I used the technique described by others on this board of carving styrafoam and painting it with cement. I ran into a problem.

My bristlenose pleco and my severums keep taking bits out of the cement coat Sad Then the white styrafoam shows through. Did I not coat the cement thick enough? Has anyone else had these problems with their fish eating the concrete off?

Maybe I was the first person to have the unlucky combination of cement+styrafoam and severums Sad After two years the background was so deteriorated that I finally just took it down. I have to figure out what to do in the tank now.

Any input? Anyone else solve this problem? I would like to do this again without my fish eating the background!
potterlu
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.26(Mon)10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm not sure if this is useful or not, but check out http://www.sydneycichlid.com/content/?page_id=86. Might be of assistance.

Luke
Samuel
Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.29(Thu)17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviuosly u didn't put enough cement and another thing can be that you didn't mix the cement contents correctly-Sam
bigfishguy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.10.01(Sat)0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

"obviuosly you didn't put enough cement and another thing can be that you didn't mix the cement contents correctly-Sam"

Well, the fish were eating the cement. You could see the black cement inside the albino bristlenose catfish. So, although my background would have held up with thicker cement, I think that I would have gone through a lot of bristlenose plecos. Perhaps that is the only type of algae eater with sharp enough teeth to eat through it?

The severums only picked at it for a couple of weeks. Then they stopped.
Samuel
Members

PostPosted: 2005.10.01(Sat)10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably that is true about the plecos just keep a close eye on them and make sure they don't get sick Good Luck!
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.10.09(Sun)18:19    Post subject: building an aquarium background with styrafoam + cement Reply with quote

Samuel stole the words from my mouth about Sidney's site. I just realized nobody will read this in an interested manner because I posted too late. Laughing Embarassed Laughing Embarassed
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: