Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Hagen Co2 injector
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ensonik
Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.26(Mon)7:11    Post subject: Hagen Co2 injector Reply with quote

I'm having a hell of a time with these things. I currently own 3 (1 in a 20G and 2 in a 50G). I managed to get them started 3 weeks ago and they just stopped. Time for a refill I figure.

So I put in the sugar, reactor and stabilizer wait 1 day and get absolutely nothing after 1 day. Maybe 1 bubble every few minutes in one of them. So I read up on usenet and find someone who says that instead of using the 10$ stuff Hagen sells, to use 1/4 teaspoon of yeast and 1 teaspoon of baking soda instead. So I give it a shot and put in just tad more yeast. 5 minutes later, there are 10 bubbles at a time in the bubble counter and I'm in heaven .... hopes dashed 3 hours later when it completely stops. I figure I overdid the yeast. So I try again, this time with the exact amounts. Nothing 12 hours later. Not a single bubble.

I'm really upset now because I have 150$ of equipment (I'm canadian) + I've wasted 10$ on those useless Hagen packages + I've tried the recipe and I still have nothing.

Does anyone have any idea on what I'm doing wrong?
1. Yes, I put the sugar only up to the second level
2. Yes. The water goes up to the second level and it's more on the cold side than the warm side
3. I DO stir it a bit to activate it.

Thanks for any input.
sciaccaj20
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.09.26(Mon)7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey -

I have the Hagen setup and it seems to be running just fine. I don't stir it, so I'm not sure if that is your problem or not. Have you tried using the "Hagen stuff" without stirring it?

I also use warmer water, like the instructions that come with the Hagen setup suggests.

Hope this helps.

John
Ensonik
Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.26(Mon)7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply John.

I've tried the Hagen stuff with cold water without stirring. I got close to 6 duds that way. I read somewhere that exposure to extreme cold or heat will actually make those packets useless, hence me switching to the very much less expensive yeast and baking soda.
buz2au
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.26(Mon)7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the articles page on this web site for the mix.

I use the 2lt drink bottle system & my mix is

yeast 1 teaspoon
baking soda 1/2 teaspoon
sugar 3 cups
water 1.5 lts

mix yeast with 250ml of warm water in a cup & let stand for about 10min
mix sugar, baking soda & 1.25lt of water in drink bottle & shake it till sugar is dissolved then add yeast mix. I have bubble in about 1/2 hour at about 30-35 bubbles a min.
sciaccaj20
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.09.26(Mon)11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another member (supaoopa) uses the following diy recipe in his Hagen co2 canister kit:

-sugar to first line
-1/4 tsp bakers yeast
-1/8 tsp baking soda
-warm water to top line

I'm going to try this recipe once I'm out of the Hagen packets.
Ensonik
Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.26(Mon)12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a big difference from what I got off usenet:
(http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants/browse_thread/thread/6077f7be350e702f/37a8398cf1b867fe?lnk=st&q=Hagen+No+Bubbles&rnum=1&hl=en#37a8398cf1b867fe)

I'll be sure to try 1/8 tsp of soda instead. That might be why it stopped working after a few hours.

Thanks for the input.
Ensonik
Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.27(Tue)9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was it. 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/4 of yeast.

I never got such a steady stream of bubbles, even with those hagen packets. 1 bubble on each step of the ladder which gets smaller while going up.

Thanks for the help.
sciaccaj20
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.09.27(Tue)12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that it worked!!!

Let me know how long that recipe lasts before you have to replace it. Like I said, I haven't tried it yet and I'm a bit curious myself.
Ensonik
Members

PostPosted: 2005.10.08(Sat)7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

They rate started to go down one day ago and it was down to about 1 bubble every 5 seconds today, so I changed the mix. Definitely, didn't give me as long as I was hoping. A full 2 weeks would have been nice.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: