Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Marine Aquarium Myths (things a beginner should know)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.09.07(Wed)18:58    Post subject: Marine Aquarium Myths (things a beginner should know) Reply with quote

Marine Aquarium Myths
(things a beginner should know)
Copyright 2013 FloridaBoy

Chances are, you're reading this forum because you want to avoid making an expensive mistake with your marine aquarium. Besides the cost factor, it's a real drag watching a beautiful creature expire due to a lack of knowledge on the part of its keeper. Believe me, I understand... I killed a lot of fish when I started out many years ago, and I can tell you; the last thing a beginner needs is half truths and misleading information.
I have never claimed to be an expert, but hopefully this list will address some of the common misunderstandings in our hobby; most of them are promoted by ignorance, some by inexperience and sorry to say, I think still others may be perpetuated by greed. Hopefully this will assist you as a beginner in avoiding them all, for your sake and of course the safety of your fish. With that said, let's get to it...

Myth 1. "You can establish a marine aquarium in a few days."
Many have tried this to their dismay; it can take weeks to properly cycle a marine system, and rushing things almost always leads to failure. As long as I can remember, there have been plenty of products/cultures/packaged bacteria, etc. out there, all claiming to provide instant results... buyer beware. After spending years as a collector, wholesaler and retailer, I assure you many of the problems I have seen beginners experience actually relate to a misunderstanding of the requirements for cycling. Certainly adding a targeted seeding of live bacteria/sand/gravel from a healthy, established system can improve the cycling process, I have done this many times.
Yet, in my opinion there is a difference between cycling and "establishing" a healthy domain. Some species--tangs and angels for example--require more than just a cycled tank; green algae cultures are a real plus to these grazers/herbivores... and some species like Mandarin Dragonets require FAR more than a cycled tank, so please research your charges. Beyond cycling, we are looking for a stable environment here; a harmony of living things perhaps best described as "balanced." The aquarist learns his system's limitations during this period; if a specimen becomes a bully, it is removed. Balance is restored. If pH drops, water changes are increased or a buffering/dosing schedule is developed. While minor experimentation with lighting and filtration is often required, sometimes it's best just to stop tinkering and observe for a while. This process, this balanced, established system is sometimes achieved quickly, but often takes months.

Myth 2. "A marine fish will not grow bigger than it's aquarium."
While perhaps some stunting can occur in certain freshwater fish, there is no stopping a Tiara Batfish from growing, you cannot expect P. volitans to remain happy in a 30 gallon tank, and no, that nurse shark will not stop expanding at 18 inches. Be advised; many rising nitrate/dissolved organic issues are actually the result of a fish collection that has simply outgrown its habitat and filter capacity. Example; Joe purchases a Panther Grouper at 2 inches. Time goes by and one day Joe notices the grouper has gotten bigger. Joe puts a tape measure up to the glass and notices little "Spot" has grown to 8 inches. Dang, that didn't take long! And guess what, he eats a lot more now, too. Problem is, Joe's tank hasn't grown one inch. Sound like an unusual problem? It's not. This little grouper (C. altivelis) is offered any given day at every marine retailer across the country, often sold without hesitation to anyone with a 30 gallon tank, and it will easily reach 28 inches in the wild. The ocean is a big place my friend, please use common sense in selecting your animals for captivity.

Myth 3. "The fish is healthy; it's eating live brine."
I've said this before, it bears repeating; getting a difficult species to "pick at" or "accept" live brine shrimp (or any form of this product) is not the same as having it devour the variety of quality foods it will need to thrive in your system. I have seen many beginners tempted into purchasing difficult species like Butterflies, Anthias, etc. at the retail level because they saw them nibble at live brine; a food that offers little nutrition but apparently great taste (cotton candy comes to mind). Ask to see the fish feed on quality frozen foods. If the request is refused, take your business elsewhere. A fish that eats a variety of quality foods is always your best bet.

Myth 4. "This fish doesn't need quarantine."
This is perhaps the myth responsible for destroying more marine livestock than any other. You have been warned; lack of quarantine protocol is at best "Russian roulette," and at worst it is simple stupidity. Of all the advice I give, this is paramount. The reality is, millions of SW fish losses could be avoided with 1: several weeks of quarantine for ALL new arrivals and 2: having a second backup system for problematic fish; regardless of what others say, it is essential to your long term success, and made even more critical when mixing fish and invert populations. Please adopt FloridaBoy's first rule of marine aquariums...

10/19/13 - I have been attempting to restore these sticky articles. Unforunately, I am unable to add the rest of this article due to a technical glitch which appears to be limiting the number of characters in a post. If anyone can assist please send me a PM and I will try and complete the article; thank you. -- FB

Last edited by FloridaBoy on 2013.10.19(Sat)16:47; edited 64 times in total
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.09.07(Wed)19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, and should be made a sticky and required reading before any questions are answered in this forum. What is said above is true and well thought out. Excellent work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.09.07(Wed)19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt about it...I just went ahead and made it a sticky. Excellent as usual FloridaBoy! Wink

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.09.09(Fri)3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if this is a myth or something a lot of uninformed people do. but a lot of people think its regular maintenance to COMPLETELY clean their aquariums(wash through gravel replace all water etc). even my family used to do this with the 20g fw untill I did some research!

andrew
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.09.12(Mon)4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

While definitely not a myth, perhaps a note of the dreaded cycling mistake known as Damsel's Revenge?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger AIM Address
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.01.04(Wed)20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also caution people about saltwater books. While a good resource, pay attention to the date they were written. The one referenced above was written in September 1996. A good resource, but very out of date. Our knowledge in this hobby increases greatly each year. in 96 a trickle filter and bio-balls were considered state of the art, we now know better ways to keep a reef happy and thriving and free of nitrates. Use them as a resoource only, not the rule.

There are no hard and fast rules in this hobby, you will often find conflicting information, don't let that dissuade you, just take what you read and hear with a grain of salt. Smile Trust in your local saltwater clubs if you have them, it is here you can see the results of someones work and they often will be able to help you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.01.05(Thu)1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya very true. I have several saltwater book. one thats my favorite has heaps of info but its quite old. bristleworms are evil acording to it! however I also have some books printed by TETRA. the only reason I have them is the pictures and some basic info on the fish. other than that theres a fairly good amount of rubbish.

andrew
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.17(Fri)10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by art_of_war on 2008.10.24(Fri)10:43; edited 1 time in total
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.11.17(Fri)23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you and best wishes for your success.
Budde
Members

PostPosted: 2007.10.22(Mon)14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the awesome article, FloridaBoy! Smile

You are so helpful.

Josh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: