Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Do the cO2 bubbles start coming immediately?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
kittyclover
Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.04(Sun)16:41    Post subject: Do the cO2 bubbles start coming immediately? Reply with quote

I made a DIY co2 thingy with a pop bottle and a diffuser with the bottom of a pop bottle. I have it set up with the yeast solution in the bottle but I have yet to see bubbles coming out form the air tubing? How long does it take to become pressurized in the bottle? Its been 5 mins since I set it up and no bubbles
WilbyZ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.05(Mon)2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 minutes is not long enough for the fermation process to begin, let alone building up enough gas pressure to push the bubbles out Smile

Leave it for about 3 - 4 days and you should see some improvements.
buz2au
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.05(Mon)4:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day kittyclover,

I use this recipe,

1 teaspoon of yeast
3 cups of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1.5 lts of water

I mix the yeast with 150ml on warmish water and let sit (this will give a kick start to the yeast) while I mix the sugar, baking soda & rest of the water in a 2lt bottle then add the yeast/water mix. I start to get bubbles to the tank in about 10-15mins (a bit longer if it is cold). This mix gives me appox 20 bubbles per minute and last a bout 2 weeks, the bubble count will start to fall off by 2 -4 b/m at about 10 to 12 days & down to around 15 b/m by day 14.

My target is to have 30ppm CO2 in my tank which takes about 35 b/m, so I have 2 bottles in series & change 1 bottle every 7 days. This much CO2 also drops my pH down to 6.6 from 7.4

Hope this helps

buz2au
kittyclover
Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.05(Mon)14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out why there were no bubbles the pop lid where I connected the tubing had a small leak. I sealed it with Goop household sealant for bathrooms. Now I get a bubble every 2 sec Razz
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: