Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cracked Glass on Aquarium
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Lovely
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.07.24(Sun)23:29    Post subject: Cracked Glass on Aquarium Reply with quote

When switching the substrate on my 20 gallon aquarium it somehow sustained a crack in the glass. The crack is at the back top corner of the aquarium so there is no pressure on it from the water really (right now we've got the water level kept below the crack). It goes from the corner edge curves down about an inch and then goes straight across 5 inches or so then curves back up and meets with the top edge. So it seems that it can't spread at all as it starts and ends at the edges. The crack is deffinetly straight through both sides though. I was thinking of patching it with silicone seal.... Has anyone done this and do you think it would work to fix my crack? Will it be safe to fill the water up to the top again after?
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.07.25(Mon)1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lovely,
Yes you can fix the crack.
Make sure the glass is clean and dry and add a bead of aquarium safe silicone to the inside crack. make sure the silicone covers up to, and over, the existing corner bead of silicone. For added strength, silicone a peice of glass or plexiglass to the back of the tank on the outside so that the crack can't flex out under pressure.
The only problem is, it will look kind of ugly; but that is only cosmetic. If eventually you buy another tank you can use that one for a quarantine or growing out tank.
Good luck.
Lovely
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.07.25(Mon)13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Just one more questions still... Is it safe to patch the crack while the fish are still in the tank (just with the water level lower so that the crack isn't wet ofcourse)?

Regarding looking ugly, fortunately the spot the crack is in isn't really visable so that shouldn't be much of a problem. I considered running out and buying a new glass aquarium, but with all the money I've just spent on re-doing my substrate/ lights etc I was hoping this cheaper option would work... and looks like it will! Very Happy
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.07.28(Thu)23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey lovely,
I am not sure about siliconing while the fish are in the tank. Mechanically, the silicone will be OK as long as it cures for at least 24hr's without getting wet at all. But the big question is wether the fumes from the curing silicone will affect the fish.
I don't know?
Perhaps someone else has some personal experience in this area.
Good luck!
Candice
Members

PostPosted: 2005.07.29(Fri)5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would either:

a) cut the cracked panel out and re silicone a new glass panel in where the cracked one was (meaning you'd have to take the fish out for a while)

or...my preferred

b) buy a new 20 gallon tank. Have you ever priced out a 20 gallon tank by itself? I just bought one for 30 dollars Canadian brand spanking new. At least you'd have the peace of mind and you could do a direct transfer of all of your water, gravel, etc and your tank would probably not even go through a cycle.
Dan0504
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.08.14(Sun)20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna agree with candice I bought a 10 gallon for 10 dollars and they had a 20 for 19.99 I'm sure its cheaper to buy a new tank than it is to silicone or add glass pluss it looks a lot better
pianodog
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.08.25(Thu)9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The options about buying a new tank they are great ideas, however we all know that ones we have tank set up and running, also we love the way it looks, we think twice about moving them and we try to fox things around.

I remember having a 90G tank, many years a go, with a huge crack on the bottom glass, went from side to side. I did use Silicone to fix and it worked, no problem what so ever. The interesting thig is that about 2 years later the side panel glass exploded. I don't know if it was because of an unbalance in the structure from the bottom crack or was just glass fatigue (if there is such a thing) but the tank met it's day.

So, my opinion is, do what you think is right and fallow your instincts. If the crack can be fix go for it. I, for safety, will put the fish in another place while the silicone is drying. Fumes could be deadly.

Luis
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: