Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY Canopy Enough Light?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
pianodog
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.08.16(Tue)19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have my new lights I have an algae problem, I have thought of some options that I will share with you, please give me your input or ideas to solve this new problem Wink

Options:

A) I can place one of the old fluorescent tube kits in to the new canopy, in the back, and have that light for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening, that way I will leave the two 55K (6500 and 5500) lights on only for 8 hours a day, hoping that less light a day will kill the algae.

B) I have a 10 G Tank with 2 Golden Inca Snail, 2 Black Mystery Snail, and a Chinese Algae Eater. I could take them in to the 50 G, however in the 50 G I have a very territorial, yet beautiful, red tailed shark and 3 medium Clown loaches. I do not like the combo. I have a PLeco in the 50 G as well, but he has turn kind of aggressive against everyone, including my precious Discus, the problem is that he is not cleaning any of the Algae that I have in the tank either.

If you have some ideas or options I will be very thankful as the algae is growing all over the glass and upper leafs of the Tiger Lotus and Amazon Swords.

Thanks again all
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.08.16(Tue)19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you say you were using co2 in this tank? You should try dosing per tom barr's estimative index... also, ime, algae outbreaks happen... it's part of the fun! enjoy it, fight it!
pianodog
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.08.16(Tue)20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have a DIY CO2 system with yeast. If you don't mind me asking where can I read about that?

Thanks again Matt, you have been a great help
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.08.16(Tue)20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure, learn about the index here

also, I notice you are in NA, you should check out www.gregwatson.com ... imo, he's a great guy to talk to and has some great prices on fertz of all kinds!

again, good luck!

also, tom posts on here sometimes as plantbrain (I think, don't quote me), so if you see him, pick his brain a little!
pianodog
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.08.16(Tue)20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean in NA?
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.08.17(Wed)7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

North America, I don't think greg can ship outside of the US and canada, but I could be wrong about that... I can't imagine it'd be cheap to ship a couple of pounds of fert to brazil or france... Wink
pianodog
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.08.17(Wed)8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Matt,

once again thanks for all the help. I try to look for those articles in the links that you gave me but didn't find them. But, I just finish reading this month's article by Rhonda Wilson on TFH magazine, and funny, it's about Algae. The one I have it is called Encrusting Algae and at least now I do not feel bad because as I saw in the article we all fight this at one point or an other. So I just have to keep on cleaning the glass and do some under water gardening Smile

Thanks again.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: