Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
[Vote closed] Photo Contest "Complementary Colors"
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board  Reply to topic   Post new topic

Vote for your favorite photo:
Zeco's blue and orange discus
20%
 20%  [ 12 ]
Marto's reddish black skirt tetras and green plants
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Mogwai's blue and orange mbuna
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
beachbum21984's orange and blue rams
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
LittleMousling's blue and orange caudopunctatus
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Alex Kawazaki's red-orange pygmy rasbora and green plants
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
susankatomerit's red-orange Endler's livebearer and green plants
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Doosharm's red-orange platy and green plants
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Psyfalcon's blue-striped urophthalmus and orange terra cotta pot
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Marcos Avila's school of red serpae tetras and green plants
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
nonamethefish's blue and orange Nothobranchius kafuensis
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2la's scarlet badis and green plants
18%
 18%  [ 11 ]
dr_fosg8's orange and blue Metriaclima estherae
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
shalu's red Rotala macranda and green plants
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
randomrambler's blue-green chromis and yellow-orange pajama cardinals
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
bash's blue auratus and red-orange jewel cichlid
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Dan0504's orange clownfish and blue background
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Steve Hampton's purple and yellow Nymphaea capensis flower
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
SLACkra's orchid and lime-green zoanthid colony
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
mobius's blue and orange Boeseman's rainbowfish
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 59

2la
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.08.08(Mon)12:45    Post subject: [Vote closed] Photo Contest "Complementary Colors" Reply with quote

The candidates are in, and now it's time for you to vote for your favorite image in August's "Complementary Colors" Photo Contest! Be sure and leave your questions, comments, and constructive criticisms after you vote, too! Voting closes after 7 days from this post. Here again are this month's entries (refer to the submissions thread for further details on each photo). Looks like another tough vote!

Zeco's blue and orange discus

Marto's reddish black skirt tetras and green plants

Mogwai's blue and orange mbuna

beachbum21984's orange and blue rams

LittleMousling's blue and orange caudopunctatus

Alex Kawazaki's red-orange pygmy rasbora and green plants

susankatomerit's red-orange Endler's livebearer and green plants

Doosharm's red-orange platy and green plants

Psyfalcon's blue-striped urophthalmus and orange terra cotta pot

Marcos Avila's school of red serpae tetras and green plants

nonamethefish's blue and orange Nothobranchius kafuensis

2la's scarlet badis and green plants

dr_fosg8's orange and blue Metriaclima estherae

shalu's red Rotala macranda and green plants

randomrambler's blue-green chromis and yellow-orange pajama cardinals

bash's blue auratus and red-orange jewel cichlid

Dan0504's orange clownfish and blue background

Steve Hampton's purple and yellow Nymphaea capensis(?) flower

SLACkra's orchid and lime-green zoanthid colony

mobius's blue and orange Boeseman's rainbowfish

Last edited by 2la on 2005.09.11(Sun)22:14; edited 2 times in total
lularib
Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.08(Mon)23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the theme, mobiu's boeseman's rainbow was my choice for gathering the complementary colours in a single fish.

Congratulations to all the members for the amazing photos. The contests are already a successful experiment among us. In my opinion, this one was the best so far.

Congratulations algo to whoever had the idea for the theme. Original, fun and open to all kinds of photos, not excluding anybody.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.08.09(Tue)0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also voted for Mobius's Boesman's rainbowfish. He caught the vibrant colors of true blue and orange which fit the theme best.

I also like 2las badis photo. Judging from that they must be very similar to the Elassoma I'm keeping.

Steve's Nymphaea flower is also nice though the crate(?) in the back is a bit distracting.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.08.09(Tue)1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost voted for Steve's flower...but at the last moment I went for the photo above it...for some reason that little clown fish really caught my eye...he looks almost unrreal, with perfect focus while everything else is blurred behind him, and the shadow putting everything in perspective and giving a nice 3-dimensional touch to the composition.

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
cory
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.08.09(Tue)4:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for the Platy, I liked the simplicity of it.
Mogwai
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.08.09(Tue)5:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

2la's for me - I love the subject, and the black background really enhances the two colours. Also loved the discus photo. Smile
randomrambler
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.08.09(Tue)6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also went with 2la's badis Smile gorgeous fish, gorgeous shot.
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.08.09(Tue)6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos from everyone this month. I would have voted for Marcos based on subject composition if the focus have been sharper. It was a very difficult choice for me between Zeco, 2la, and Mobius...finally settling on Zeco...two sets of complimentary colors, the blue and orange and red and green, but might vote differently if given the choice again tomorrow...it was that close to me.
liveatwoodstock
Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.09(Tue)20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to vote for 2la's picture because I love the sharp focus of the fish, and the plant leaf, in contrast to the blurred background. It makes the fish stand out much more than if the background woul have been in foucs like the fish. It was a tough choice though and I enjoied veiwing all of your wonderful pictures.
2la
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.08.10(Wed)17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after letting it stew in my brain for a few days, I realized that tacking days onto my decision wasn't going to make it any easier, so I'm biting the bullet.

First, I'd like to give credit where credit is due:
lularib wrote:
Congratulations algo to whoever had the idea for the theme. Original, fun and open to all kinds of photos, not excluding anybody.

That would be me. Wink But actually, Marcos was the one who pushed for it to be this month's theme. I was a little worried that people would be struggling to find good examples of complementary colors in their photos, but with just a little bit of rule-bending for some entries, we actually had as many turn out for this contest as for our first one. Congrats to everyone who entered!

From a photographically technical standpoint, it was easy to pick out the strongest entries: LittleMousling's, Alex's, Doosharm's, dr_fosg8's, and Steve's images all have nice crispness, good and even exposure, good saturation, and relatively little noise. Psyfalcon's and mobius's images were also strong but for minor saturation and focus issues, respectively. That's extreme nitpicking, though, but in a contest with so many high-quality images, I had to find reasons not to vote for certain entries, even if the criteria would otherwise be minor. As another example, as an afficionado of small fish, I can especially appreciate the trials Alex must have gone through to nab such a sharp picture of such a tiny, hyperactive fish! Ultimately, though, I felt a strong conviction to adhere to my original interpretation of this contest theme when I first proposed it, and it was unfortunate that the Boraras wasn't a pure red fish.

From a subject point of view, I really liked Marcos's and noname's photos, even if they weren't the strongest from a technical standpoint. Steve's flower image was IMHO the most original, but like noname I felt a little distracted by the grid and the floating riccia mat. I think a tight square crop really would have swung my vote.

So who did I finally vote for? Ultimately, I cast my vote after I asked myself, "If I could put one of these images on my desktop, which one would I like to see most?" And even though it wasn't the most noise-free or sharply focused image, I felt that Zeco's discus image best embodied the spirit of this month's contest theme. It strikes me as such a dynamic image, making it seem like the discus just exploded into existence out of nowhere (no, I'm not smoking anything right now). That, combined with the bold, saturated contrast of truly complementary blue and orange, gave it the very slight nod over LittleMousling's, Steve's, Alex's, and dr_fosg8's superb images.

So, thank you to everyone EXCEPT Zeco for making me feel like a jerk for not voting for your image! Neutral Wink
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: