Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Support Beam?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.07.14(Thu)13:41    Post subject: Support Beam? Reply with quote

I have an All-glass 55g that has a plastic strip going between the two lengths of the tank at the top so that 2 24" hoods can fit. I need to upgrade the lighting, and from my research it would be cheaper to get lighting for 48 inches instead of 2 24s. Is it possible to saw this plastic out or is it there for a reason? Thanks for the help!
Cyradia
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.07.14(Thu)14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't saw it out! It's called a centerbrace and if it's removed the long pieces of glass will 'bow' outwards when the tank is filled. While this might never cause a problem...it's more likely a ticking time bomb until one day the seems just give and you have a a horrible mess on your hands.

You can still find very cheap 48" lighting solutions. I simply hang shop lights over all of my 55 gallon tanks (center brace in tact.) You can make a wooden box shaped thing to sit on top of the tank to screw the shop light(s) into and the center brace shouldn't be in the way. The only thing the brace will do is cause a very slight shadow in the middle of your tank which can be a little bit annoying, but hardly noticable.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.07.14(Thu)15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: