Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
[Voting Closed!] Photo Contest - "Algae-Eaters"
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board  Reply to topic   Post new topic

Vote for your favorite photo:
Marcos Avila's Amano shrimp out of water
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
Stebbi's head-on gibby
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Alex Kawazaki's red fin oto portrait
14%
 14%  [ 9 ]
LunarFlame's good ol' otocinclus cat
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Mogwai's hungry magnum pleco
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
lularib's Chinese algae-eater, "Lips"
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Cyradia's Hisonotus leucofrenatus and fry
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
mjrsea's emerald crab
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
dr_fosg8's rubbernose pleco
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Psyfalcon's climbing ramshorn snail
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
susankatomerit's black mystery snails eating duckweed
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
victor hugo's Chinese algae-eater enjoying zucchini
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Magnus's lustful Amano shrimp
42%
 42%  [ 26 ]
bash's spotted Chaetostoma
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
marto's Chinese algae-eater
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Carlos Rohrbacher's self-collected Epactionotus
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2la's whiptail catfish
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
LMuhlen's peeping ancistrus
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
nonamethefish's bristlenose pleco close-up
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 61

2la
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.07.08(Fri)23:44    Post subject: [Voting Closed!] Photo Contest - "Algae-Eaters" Reply with quote

The candidates are in, and now it's time for you to vote for your favorite image in July's "Algae-Eaters" Photo Contest! Be sure and leave your questions, comments, and constructive criticisms after you vote, too! Here again are this month's entries (refer to the submissions thread for further details on each photo):

Marcos Avila's Amano shrimp out of water

Stebbi's head-on gibby

Alex Kawazaki's red fin oto portrait

LunarFlame's good ol' otocinclus cat

Mogwai's hungry magnum pleco

lularib's Chinese algae-eater, "Lips"

Cyradia's Hisonotus leucofrenatus and fry

mjrsea's emerald crab

dr_fosg8's rubbernose pleco

Psyfalcon's climbing ramshorn snail

susankatomerit's black mystery snails eating duckweed

victor hugo's Chinese algae-eater enjoying zucchini

Magnus's lustful Amano shrimp

bash's spotted Chaetostoma

marto's Chinese algae-eater

Carlos Rohrbacher's self-collected Epactionotus

2la's whiptail catfish

LMuhlen's peeping ancistrus

nonamethefish's bristlenose pleco close-up

Last edited by 2la on 2005.07.31(Sun)20:23; edited 2 times in total
2la
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.07.08(Fri)23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since I put the whole thing together, I get to vote first! My vote went by a slim margin to Magnus for his wonderful picture that represents a combination of great storytelling, spot-on composition, and good technical execution, though a little cleaning up of the distracting spots and specks would have been the icing on the cake. Alex Kawazaki's red fin oto portrait is excellent, too, though I thought the clipping of the dorsal fin behind the frame was a bit distracting (yes, I am that anal!). Otherwise it's an impressive photo for the depth of focus and level of detail it achieves. In the end, though, Magnus's capture of a true "decisive moment" put it over the top for me. I like Marcos's Amano shrimp picture, too, for the very same reason.

Nice job, everyone! Very Happy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.07.09(Sat)0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree magnuses is my favorite out of them all, close second by marcoses shot of an interesting terrestrial behavior of an amano shrimp.

andrew
Mogwai
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.07.09(Sat)2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiptail catfish does it for me, excellent shot, with the beautiful red-fin oto a close second and Magnus' Amano shrimp in 3rd. Fantastic pics everyone, and a great idea for this contest! Very Happy
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.07.09(Sat)11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me I liked Magnus's amano shrimp best. Its one thing to capture a rare moment...its another when it comes out looking good Smile.

Close second for me would be Mogwai's hungry pleco, it captures that funny "personality" these guys have.
Goneelsewhere
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.07.09(Sat)15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say 2la's Whiptail, followed by Alex Kawazaki's red fin oto, and Mogwai's Magnum tied for second. Very Happy
brunogalhardi
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.07.09(Sat)18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote goes to "Magnus's lustful Amano shrimp"

The apisto's crying out is hilarious lol Laughing

Congrats to all for the gorgeous photos
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.07.09(Sat)22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a great selection of entries for the first contest! My vote went to Magnus because it's just amazing how such an unusual/interesting/amusing moment could get captured with such high photographic quality. But I also want to comment on a few other entries:

- Mine would've been a lot better, of course, if I'd managed to hold the camera steadier in the fraction of time I had to take the pic. Wink

- Stebbi's face-to-face gibby looks nice, although I'm wondering if the discolorations are normal or some sign of health issue with the fish.

- Alex's photo is incredibly crisp for such a small fish, it's really too bad that parts of the fish got cut out or hidden behind a leaf.

- Mogwai's magnum pleco shot is awesome, unfortunately the image is cropped a little too tight around the fish.

- Lula's CAE is textbook Atlas-style photography, and that photo is actually going into the new CAE page in the Gallery section Wink

- I really liked the orange background effect in Cyradia's shot, if only the fish itself had come out sharper...

- dr_fosg8's rubbernose pleco almost got my vote. I would've cropped the image a little though, removing some of the bottom gravel part that doesn't add anything to the composition, and some of the right part so that the fish became centered.

- victor hugo's CAE shot is like mine, it would've been really awesome if it weren't for the blur.

- bash's spotted Chaetostoma is another textbook shot. Maybe we can add that species to the Gallery as well...

- Carlos's fingernails need a bit of professional care Laughing

- 2la's defocusing effect and techincal quality look incredible, I also considered voting for it. Too bad it's a whiptail catfish shot without the actual whiptail appearing though.

- Lmuhlen's and noname's shots are the opposite case, they're focusing right on the most outstanding feature of the bristlenose catfish, but lmuhlen's vertical cropping looks a little bit strange, and noname's pic lacks a little bit of color balance and contrast.

I just hope all contests will have this level of variety and quality! Smile

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Alex Kawazaki
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.07.10(Sun)8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically my choice was among the 2la or Magnus's photos...

Besides an extraordinary sharpness, the Magnus's photo got to capture a magic moment, however I thought a little dark.

2la's photo is my favorite, illumination perfect, beautiful color's contrast, accurate focus on the fish in spite the limited field depth, however the "caudal fin" was cut in the composition (as in my photo) and the dorsal fin was closed. Sometimes the fish doesn't collaborate with the shots... Wink

I also liked details in the photo of Nonamethefish's bristlenose pleco.

A big hug,

English isn't my native language and I hopen't to cause any mistake
2la
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.07.10(Sun)17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're being too modest, Alex (and thank you for the vote Wink). I wouldn't have faulted you one bit if you'd voted for your own image: Like I said, for me it was between yours and Magnus's photo, with Magnus winning out because of the amazing fortune of capturing two magical moments in one shot(Exclamation). My comment regarding the tip of the dorsal fin was an extremely minor critique, but something that I did notice enough to comment on. I don't think the exclusion of the back half of either of our animals is a flaw in composition but a strong and purposeful one: Had we done so (assuming each fish would have cooperated), I think the subjects would have been de-emphasized due to the increased negative space. I can capture a 'profile-type' image pretty much at any time (since the camera wouldn't need to be so close and since suckermouth catfishes don't often move all that much), but partial captures are sometimes desirable from a more creative and artistic standpoint. It just depends on what effect you're looking for.

A question for you: Do the close-up lenses also increase your depth of focus? Because even for an image at F8, your depth of focus in that image is amazingly deep. Great job on a beautiful photo that I'm sure could qualify for other contests in the future!

2la

Last edited by 2la on 2005.07.10(Sun)21:19; edited 1 time in total
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: