Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Suggestions for Monthly Photo Contest themes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
2la
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.06.24(Fri)19:25    Post subject: Suggestions for Monthly Photo Contest themes Reply with quote

Post your ideas for our Monthly Photo Contests themes here in this thread!

More information on the Monthly Photo Contests can be found here.

Thanks for your ideas and participation!

Regards,

2la
Age of Aquariums Moderator
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.06.24(Fri)20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo! First of all thanks Tula for assuming the task, I'm sure it'll be just as enjoyable here. A few random suggestions to warm up the engines, chosen so that they don't restrict the candidates to any specific group of fish:

1) Face to Face: Any fish or invertebrate, as long is it has eyes and is looking straight at the photographer Smile

2) Precious Parenting: Best shots of adult species together with their offspring (not eggs!).

3) Magic Moments: Same spirit as that section here on the site: photos catching our critters in a rare/uncommon/curious position or situation. The 3 best voted photos go to that section, and the others can still compete in future versions of the same theme...

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.06.25(Sat)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK just a few minor questions.

will there be monthly topics for saltwater and freshwater? like ones like; Coral Close ups?

after the thread with the name of the topic has been made we will have 1 week to get the photo and post it. we can use photo shop's basic tools like fixing the colour, contrast? can we sharpen images?

oh and my ideas:

Open mouth shot (the fishes mouth has to be open!)

Algae-eaters (plecos, otos, amano shrimp etc)

Coral close-ups (macro shots of corals)

Hungry shots (fish/inverts that are eating)

not the greatest ideas but oh well!

andrew
2la
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.06.25(Sat)22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLACkra wrote:
will there be monthly topics for saltwater and freshwater? like ones like; Coral Close ups?

There will probably be only one contest a month, but we may alternate freshwater and saltwater topics or otherwise arrange things to reflect their popularity here.

Quote:
we can use photo shop's basic tools like fixing the colour, contrast? can we sharpen images?

That's addressed in the Contest Rules (see the sticky at the top of the previous page). Regarding sharpening specifically, proper sharpening or unsharp masking is perfectly within the bounds of standard digital photo processing. Bear in mind that a hopelessly blurry picture will always remain blurry, and the result of futile sharpening will be evident in the end result. Most people will be able to recognize haphazard sharpening right off the bat, anyways. Sharpening and unsharp masking offer their best results from already reasonably sharp images that are resized, as some of the original sharpness may be lost in the resampling. Even then, it should be used in moderation lest the end result be overpixelated or rife with sharpening halos.

Thanks for the ideas, Andrew. I myself was thinking of a "Clean-up crew at work" type thing as well as "Predatory fish earning their reps", which are similar to a couple of your themes (which I've bolded to make them stand out more readily).
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.06.27(Mon)15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more:

Complimentary Colors: Got a picture of a red plant or fish against a green background? Blue against orange? Yellow next to purple (perhaps a yellow and purple fish, for you saltwater enthusiasts?)? Etc.

Pearling & Streaming Plants: Photosynthesis at its finest.

Algae Farms: A wackier idea, but I'm sure some of us have some pretty impressive photos of what not to grow!

Contest begins on or about the first of the month, so get your ideas in well ahead of time so we can settle on a choice in time!
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.06.27(Mon)19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH, OH, I`VE GOT ONE!
What about pics of fish that resemble famous people? ie, actors, actresses, famous sports persons things of that nature. Does anyone remember the pic some one posted of a fish upclose that looked like general ackbar from starwars?!?! Laughing Anyways, just a thought.
Reef
The Puffer Guy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.06.28(Tue)4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only think of couple so here goes....

HELP!!! - This could be pictures of feeders just as they are about to be eaten, just as the fish is about to get its mouth around the feeder (yeah I know, it is kind of cruel but it makes some good pictures)

Little ones - This one could be fry or very small juveniles going about their daily buisness.

Resting places - This once sould be hard to do as it is usually dark when fish rest but anyway, this topic could included unusual resting places/positions that fish have.

Tiny tanks - This is the final one I came up with, it is were people take pictures of their Nano tanks, 5 gallon or below.

Juts a few ideas for you all,

Fighter5000
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.07.06(Wed)12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

flaunting... shots of males showing off for their females... Smile
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.07.10(Sun)17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiding.... for the shy fish who don't like there picture taken. And to annoy the photographers trying to get a good shot. Very Happy

I want More Snow!
Incubusnght
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.07.12(Tue)11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nibbling - For the fish who always seem to be eating or just fish that are feeding, because we all love to see our fish eat why wouldnt we want to see what others do during feeding time?!?!?!
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: