Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Losing Large amounts of feeder fish
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ksls
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.06.22(Wed)5:52    Post subject: Losing Large amounts of feeder fish Reply with quote

Okay, I am not quite sure if this goes here, but I quess I will find out shortly.

We have two clown knifes and thought it would be easier to keep a stock of 300 feeder goldfish on hand, instead if going to the store every other day. Plus its cheaper by the 100 than by the dozen. Heres the problem, we have them in 3-40G rubbermaid containers. 100 in each. All containers have a sponge filter with an air pump attached. We do weekly 25-50% water changes as well and the water is fairly cold. UNFORTUNATLY, we are losing more than we are feeding.

We thought that perhaps the water wasn't being filtered properly so we purchased a pump and plumbed it into two 40 gallon containers. Both containers had an over flow. Since we live on the lake we had them outside and the over flow just went back into the lake, therefor it was very clean water all the time. The water that was being pumped was first going through a carbon filter. Every morning we would go out to find 2 dozen dead feeders!!!
Are there to many feeders in one tank?
The LFS suggested lots of salt. So we even tried that and still we lost a lot of fish.

We LOVE our clown knives and we even upgraded them to a 150 gallon with an ehiem filter. But, we are frustrated with the amounts of fish that we are losing. ANY suggeations would be great!!!

I'm even thinking of tring to feed them pellets.
jynxy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.06.22(Wed)6:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised that their all dying! you have 100 goldfish in a 40 gal container! thats way over crowded and I can't even imagine what that looks like.
f_i_s_h_
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.06.22(Wed)10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 goldfish in a 40gallon...oh dear.

The minimum recommended tank for a hundred is in the region of 500 gallons if you're using them as feeders (although it'll be hell for them in there).

If you were actually keeping them as pets, I'd recommend 5000 gallons at least.
ksls
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.06.22(Wed)11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 gallons for 100 small feeder fish???? At the LFS they are in a 100 gallon maybe and they have over 1000 feeders in there. I was talking to a person at a bait and tackle shop who has 100 gallon tubs and he always has 2000 large minnows in there at all time. I thought that as long as you keep the water clean all would be fine.

So, in a 40 gallon container what would be the max. amount of small feeders, with weekly water changes and a sponge filter be?
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.06.22(Wed)12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFSs have central filtration systems. Those feeder fish may appear to be in 100 gallons (for a very, very short period of time, until someone buys them), but they're in a system that holds thousands of gallons, often tens of thousands.

For the length of time you'd need to keep the goldfish in there, much longer than the store will, I doubt you could safely have more than 20 fish, and even then you'd need to do lots of water changes.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: