Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Using tin foil as reflector.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
perfectblue
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)17:47    Post subject: Using tin foil as reflector. Reply with quote

I have two bettas on a shelf that has a 10 watt pc bulb in a lamp socket taped to the top of shelf. My question is can I make a reflector for the bulb out of tin foil? Will the bulb melt the tin foil?

2.5 gallon saltwater tank
mbunafan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will probably work, I am not sure of that. I am sure that that bulb won't melt that foil.
Capo
Members

PostPosted: 2005.06.04(Sat)7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it works. I was cheap (and still am) on maing lights for my fluros.
I got some fluro holders out of the ceiling on a house we were renovating and used them for my 4' tank.
I got some cardboard and shaped it into the shape I would want a reflector, then I taped and glued the foil onto the cardboard (shiny side out) then taped it onto the holder, then I put in the fluro.

It has worked great, couldnt have hoped for any better. I'm not sure if this is what you are after but I hope it helped a bit. Nothing has gone wrong at all so far.
McP
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.06.04(Sat)10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painting your reflector white will actually make a better reflector than tin foil because the foil breaks the light up to much. For a better understanding do a google(or a member search) for Rex Grigg. His site explains it much better than I can.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: