Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Scratching fish/white spots...is it Ich? What to do?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Pheonix
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.19(Thu)2:44    Post subject: FAQ: Scratching fish/white spots...is it Ich? What to do? Reply with quote

I currently have a Betta that seems to maybe have Ich. I don't know a ton about this and I've read the article on ich so I was wondering if anyone has any advice. Today I noticed a strange white bump or something on the bottom of my Bettas mouth. There are also a few REALLY small white spots on his body. He seems to be acting normal and happy. I have been keeping him in a 7 gallon tank but just moved him to a 10G. There are no other fish in the 10G. I always make sure the water temp, pH levels, etc. are correct and everything in the 10G shouldn't be too much different than the 7G was-all levels are the same. Do you think this is Ich? If it is what caused it and what is the best way to get rid of it? I know there are medications but I've also heard mention of adding salt to the water. What do you suggest?
linz85
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.19(Thu)3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi I've been told that ich is present all in water just waiting for a fish with a low immune sytem or a stressed fish to attack it.
I don't know what meds u have in the states but I'm using interpet white spot plus.use some aquarium salt(its gotta be aquarium salt!), I don't know the dosage wait for someone else to tell you that. and turn the temp up to 80 when your medicating as this quickens the life proscess of the disease.
hope this helps
linzi

soz it sed size too large and cba to resize Razz
Frosty
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.23(Mon)6:52    Post subject: Itchy Fish?? Reply with quote

I have a 65 gallon tank, well planted, driftwood, rock. Temp 79 degrees, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, pH 7.5, one co2 and a bubble wall. Filter is a Rena xp2 canister. Tank well populated with fish (Community).
My Columbian shark catfish is rubbing himself on everything and my gouramis are twitching and rubbing too. Angels and Red/Blue tetras are fine, Rosy barbs are twitchy. I have no white spots at all Exclamation I do a 25% water change every week and add Ultimate stress and water conditioner along with some plant fertilizer. Yesterday I added aquarium salt to help ease itch but other then itchy rubbing on everything fish I don't see anything physically wrong with them? Could it be internal? Should I prima fix or mela fix? Any help would be great. Tank is also about 2 months old. Used old bacteria and wood/plants from other tank and waited a week before adding fish. No problems in tank at all before now.
Thanks
Sahara22588
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.05.23(Mon)7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally itching is a prelude to ick or a similar parasitic disease. Treat the tankk with an anti-parasitic and raise you tank temperature to around 82. That will speed up any parasite's life cycle so you can kill the adult forms with the meds sooner. If you leave the tanks lights off for longer periods of time it will speed up the life cycle also. Most likely you will be dealing with ick in a couple days, but if you catch it early, you can prevent fish loss.

Byez! Very Happy
Frosty
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.23(Mon)7:19    Post subject: Okay, but.... Reply with quote

I have only Super Ick Cure for parasites, which means removing all my plants. Do you reccommand this? Also have already raised temp. I have spare 10 gallon for plants but won't this stress fish even more if I remove them? They will die if I don't. Sad
Frosty
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.23(Mon)10:06    Post subject: Getting Concerned!!! Reply with quote

Well now my Rainbow fish are trying not to move and just hanging out in the middle of the aquarium and "twitching" every so often. I still don't see any spots or problems except itchy or twitchy fish. Could it be flukes?? I have no experience with that only ick which has been in my 25 gallon (no problems in months Very Happy ). Any suggestions???
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.23(Mon)10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspect external parasites, and treat with parasite meds such as Jungle Tank Buddies Parasite Clear. This product has a very effective active ingredient for both internal and external parasites.

~Haname
AJ
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.25(Wed)11:44    Post subject: ICH... More problems. HELP Reply with quote

Two days ago I suddenly noticed white spots on my goldies tail fins. Upon closer inspection I quickly realized that it might be ICH.

It's the 2nd day of treatment with Quick Cure and the white spots have disappeared from all the fish. The carbon was removed from the filter, the temp is 80F and I've added small amounts of salt until the recommended dosage was reached.

I know I'm not supposed to stop the treatment now, but what is the standard length of treatment? The instructions say to treat for just 2 days and to do a 25% water change on the 3rd day if extended treatment is required.

Also, I was wondering if my Clown Pleco will suffer any adverse effects and possibly die as a result of the chemical and thermal treatment.

Sad

Last edited by AJ on 2005.05.28(Sat)8:33; edited 2 times in total
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.25(Wed)12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they say 2 days, then I would do the additional third day to be positive you've wiped it out. In fact, if you want, and are concerned, you could probably get away with just doing a half dose on the third day (with the water change).

As far as the pleco goes, I would be most conerned about the salt adversely effecting it and not the meds/elevated temp. But, if it isn't showing any signs of stress, then I would take that as a good sign.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.25(Wed)12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would treat an additional three days after you've seen the last spot. Don't forget ich meds only work when the parasite is in its free swimming form and that means there are probaby some more swimming around.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to: