Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tank stocking section?
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.15(Tue)13:43    Post subject: Tank stocking section? Reply with quote

Hey Marcos,
Has anyone ever thought of a section for tank set ups? I keep reading so many posts asking for stocking suggestions and I thought it would be great to say"check out the tank stocking section".
I'm not sure how it might work but the basic beginner tank sizes could be used (10 Gal. - 30 Gal.) and each post could create a complete stocking scenario.
ie:
10 Gal.: Six neon tetra's, one dwarf gourami, two otocinculus.(just an example)
Others could chip in for compatability reasons and the original poster could edit if neccisary and then the post could be locked. This would create a gallery of different tank set ups. Perhaps it would inspire some of us to be creative and come up with unusual, but compatable combo's.
Just a though, great site, having lots of fun
Plums
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a sensible idea dale.

(hmm...must have something to do with your age Shocked Wink )

I think this board is great but it does seem to get a bogged down with "What can I put in my X gallon tank?" and "You can't keep an Oscar in there" posts. I understand it's necessary to answer these kinds of questions, and advise if a setup is unsuitable, but anything that can expedite this process must be good. Especially as most of the information needed can already be found on the website, in other posts or in the "Gallery".

To me it seems that answering all of these questions in detail (which is what usually occurs) is at the expense of more interesting and indepth discussion, particulary amongst the resident experts here who have a great deal of knowledge to pass on. That's the kind of stuff that a newb like me could really learn from.

Just my thoughts.

On a related note, I do find the name "Gallery" to be misleading. To a newcomer to the site it sounds like a place where people post their pictures in..er a gallery, not a place to look for species specific information. Marine fish="Marine", freshwater fish="Gallery" there's something not quite right there. I can see the number of letters is limited but perhaps "Fish" then links to marine and freshwater.

Not really criticisms, just trying to be helpful Very Happy
Mogwai
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem seems to be that despite people being advised in the stickies to search for their topic prior to posting it, hardly ANY newbie does this, hence the repetition of 'stocking' threads. I I think that 'cookie cutter' type tank setups would be an idea for mods to direct people to, but I wonder how many of the people who multipost threads would actually bother to read them. Confused
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree mogwai (by the way, I should read those stickies one day Wink )
Even still, one could then refer a poster to that section and feel that they were well served. There is the gallery for researching species and info about tank sizes but not much when we start to mix species together or keep groups. I am also very interested in the thought that it might really stimulate some people to think more seriously and creatively about stocking tanks.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually all stocking threads are supposed to go in the Freshwater Basics section. Cichlid stockings stay in the cichlids section because of the special nature of their stocking needs and other needs uniquely suited to cichlids.

Smile
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah huntress... me thinks you miss the point. Smile
There is no place, when someone posts "how should I stock my 10 gal." to refer them to specifically; so people keep asking and answering the same old questions over and over. Stocking suggestions for a ten gal. stocking suggestions for a thirty gal., How many tetra's, how many oto's, how many gourami's, how many cory's, how many oscars in a 10 gal.? Shocked
Even if someone gives a very comprehensive answer it soon gets cycled into the back pages and no one finds it again. Sort of like always re-inventing the wheel. Also, many tanks have cichlid / cypranid / charcarin / catfish etc... combo's (hopefully not in the same tank) Wink
We can say "look in the gallery" which gives info about the individual fish but this does not address stocking levels etc... particularily when combined with other species ie: schooling fish and bottom feeders. So they come back and post "Now I like neon tetras how many can I keep in my ten gallon?" Rolling Eyes
I was suggesting a more comprehensive section (or something) that offers a collection of different stocking scenarios for the common tank sizes. Then one could say "go look in the tank combinations section and see if any of those set ups suit you."
I just had the thought that, if a recurring theme continues to show itself, why not create a section to address it specifically.

Just my thoughts, I'm not giving up yet!
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue here is that no matter how many examples you may want to present, a newcomer to the hobby will not be comfortable enough with all these examples and wants to hear an experienced aquarist or two validate his/her own, very particular setup.

The newcomer is justifiably insecure since there's so much info to absorb and so many minor details...so an example says that 10 Neon Tetras are OK in a 10G, but what if he/she wants 5 Neon Tetras and 5 Glowlight Tetras? Is this OK? For an experienced aquarist it obviously is, but definitely not for the newcomer...who knows what kind of issues might arise? So he/she has every reason to want to take advantage of our experience, in search of reassurance over that particular choice.

Since these beginner issues/concerns such as cycling/stocking/cloudy water are quite repetitive and unstimulating for most experienced aquarists, some time ago we created the Freshwater Basics forum and moved them there, so that beginners could freely discuss their issues, even share their excitement over the new hobby, without needing to worry about annoying the more impatient advanced hobbyists. From the latter's perspective it's also very advantageous...if you don't want to be involved with helping beginners and their issues, just don't go to the FW Basics forum, it's as simple as that.

For several years we tried many different ways to avoid/combat repetitive beginner topics because, if not kept under control, they unquestionably scare away desirable advanced hobbyists. But IMO the current model is the best we've had so far, other models tend to represent a very high load on the moderation side and cause a lot of stress and burnout. The way we have it now is basically a recognition that these repetitive topics will NOT go away, so the FW basics forum is set up to accomodate them...it's meant as a highly rotative forum for "expendable" topics (they expire after a while), as opposed to the other forums where the intention is to build up a thorough searchable database to be consulted by the intermediate/advanced hobbyist.

All that said, yes a fixed topic or an article with some examples of well stocked beginner tanks is a nice thing, not because it'll reduce the number of repetitive topics (I can assure you it won't) but because it'll be one more resource for those who are looking for information and ideas for their first tanks. In fact the moderator team had been discussing this very idea just last week and we'll be considering the best way to implement it.

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.17(Thu)22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew, hope you took a breath in there Marco's Wink
I'll leave it up to you then. Perhaps you could let me know what the decision is after the moderator pow wow as, if appropriate, I may try my hand at writing an article on the subject.
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: