Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Age of Aquariums: A Historical Perspective?
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
2la
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.07(Mon)19:28    Post subject: Age of Aquariums: A Historical Perspective? Reply with quote

Hey Marcos,

To say that this site and this discussion forum have grown by leaps and bounds would be the ultimate understatement. I personally have been here to watch it grow and evolve for at least the past five years, and I know the true veterans have been here even longer than that. I was just thinking, if you've still got some of the splash screens or main-site screens squirreled away in your archives, I think it would be neat to include (either as a topic here or as a feature page for the main site) a sort of 'retrospective gallery' showing the many incarnations of A of A after every major facelift--just for nostalgia's sake. Don't feel bad if you shoot this idea down or put it waaay over on the back burner, but I think it'd be a cool to see!

2la
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.07(Mon)19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe...yeah that would make for a nice nostalgia session, but unfortunately I never really bothered to keep detailed records of old things. Besides, the site itself didn't get too many facelifts...it was launched as a single page in October'97, with a little bit of blah blah blah and showing a horrible photo of my 200 L tank. Within a few months the general design was defined and it pretty much stayed the same all the way up to 2004 when the current design was finally launched. Here's a link that kept track of the initial page (warning: boring):

http://web.archive.org/web/*http://www.aquahobby.com

What did change quite a bit along these years was this discussion forum. As you remember we've been through at least half a dozen incarnations of our board and only now we've finally been able to maintain a rather stable version. In the previous versions, about once a year we'd have a major crash, lose everything and have to start over. It's really amazing that so many people put up with that stuff and continued to visit the board regardless Wink

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
2la
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.07(Mon)19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you're right! Things haven't changed all that much with the main site! I guess my presence here on the board (and the last four or five incarnations of it) skewed my memory of where the changes have taken place. I still remember that gawdawful board that listed posts in outline forum--talk about a lot of cross-talk!

Quote:
It's really amazing that so many people put up with that stuff and continued to visit the board regardless.

And to think that there are big enough idiots out there who'd want to work for the guy responsible for all of this nonsense!

2la
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.07(Mon)20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wondering how you came up with the name of this site.

Are you a fan of a highly dubious 70s music, or does it have a deep meaningful astrological significance?

Laughing
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.07(Mon)20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe well yeah I've watched Hair many times and I like the song and all, but it's not like there's any "hidden political/philosophical message" behind the site name. It just popped into mind while I was brainstorming for something a little more interesting/appealing than the staple "Fish-This", "Aqua-That" names for aquarium fish sites Wink

I enjoyed the little word-play between "Age of Aquarius" and "Age of Aquariums", it sounded like a nice invitation for people come "Enter the Age of Aquariums" where the hobby will become not only popular but well-informed and ecologically aware, and so it was chosen.

As side note, we used to get a lot of visits from people thinking the site was somehow related the "New Age of Aquarius" which is some sort of religion/cult/sect (I really don't know), and I've even gotten an occasional hate mail from both "mainstream" and "alternative" religious fanatics Wink

EDIT: BTW, since we're in nostalgia mode...the site started on Geocities and was there for at least 2 years, back in the time when Geocities had that whole neighborhood style of organizing sites. My "address" was at:

http://www.geocities/com/Heartland/Acres/3540

But it's no use clicking on that because it'll just redirect you back here. When the site finally outgrew Geocities and required its own domain (end of 1999, I think), ageofaquariums.com was already taken so after brainstorming a little more I chose aquahobby.com which was available. At the time people didn't have so much of a habit to directly associate a site's name with its URL, but the web ended up evolving that way so nowadays many people refer to this site as Aquahobby or Aquahobby.com instead of its original name Age of Aquariums...

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Plums
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.07(Mon)20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe Well I think it's a very good name. It's just that whenever I look at the top of the page I start hearing the words "it is the dawning of the age....." Very Happy
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: