Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Exiting my membership...
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Creature_Feature
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.24(Thu)1:27    Post subject: Exiting my membership... Reply with quote

Helllo,
I really like this site, but I'm afraid I'm going to be unregistering from it, for this reason;
I posted a small 2 x3" picture of a fish the other day to give people the idea of a fish I was talking about in my post. The picture had the artist name on it. Well I overlooked the fact that yes, it is infringment and yes, I was in the wrong to have done so, but to the moderator who informed me of this (I won't mention any names, not my style), it wasn't really neccessary for you to come after me like I had just violated some national security law or something, I mean I had received 2 instant messages through the site and NASTY ones at tha,t telling me to remove the photo, it was like you were going to call the photo infringment police after me or something. I find it really unbeleivable that you took it that seriously. It never ceizes to amaze me the way people have become these days due to the internet. The internet is a great place to share and enjoy. I would imagine that the original artist who put their name on that photo would have liked to have seen their work being shared and exposed, that's why they put their name on the photo in the first place. Look at a Picasso painting and you'll see the name of the artist down on the bottom and you won't find these painting hidden away in a vault somewhere without exposure to the eyes of the public.
Well anyways a site I used to enjoy I will no longer be visiting any longer due to these principals and to the moderator that hammered down on me that was really a terrible thing to be sending somebody you don't know in a message. You may need to seriously re-evaluate your time and consider doing something else besides bother people like that. Life goes by in the blink of an eye, don't stress your time you have or you may miss it..
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.02.24(Thu)2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry you feel that way Creature Feature, but we have rules to go by...

It uses up and/or steals bandwidth from sites when you directly link to them. If we allow such things to go on on our forum then A of A would quickly run into problems... I'm not sure you realize the damage that can be done by linking in this way.

People whom take the pictures deserve credit for such, and it is important to recognize that... You don't get a great picture normally unless you spend hours in front of the tank... and with luck and patience you might get a few good pics. I wouldn't want you to take the couple good pics I have and act like they are yours. It simply wasn't your work. And some people do make a bit of money in their endeavors. It's also a copy right thing and more... pride in your work.

In short it never hurts to ask for permission... However without it you're out of luck.

later
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.24(Thu)4:25    Post subject: Re: Exiting my membership... Reply with quote

none wrote:
I would imagine that the original artist who put their name on that photo would have liked...

Your imagination has absolutely nothing to do with the issue. The bottom line is that it's the copyright owners' prerogative - not yours - to decide when, where and how their images are published. If you're so sure it'll be so good for them then just go ahead and ask. It's that simple.

So if you're indeed leaving because you think this site's policy of absolute respect for authorships and copyrights is too strict and we take it too seriously, then yes, you were definitely on the wrong site.

But if after giving it some thought you conclude that the policy is correct but believe you were treated too harshly by the moderator who contacted you by PM, then I'm sure this minor secondary issue can be easily worked out by a couple more PM exchanges between you and that moderator.

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.24(Thu)11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was debating really hard whether or not to respond to this, Creature_Feature. If you wanted to take my PM as offensive and harsh, that's your perogative. I have saved all the PMs and can post them here for others to see whether or not I was too harsh, or in fact just relaying the facts and rules of our board and the legal aspects of what you had done. I PMed you for your benefit considering you ripped the image from the original website and stored it on your own image location. That is theft and no amount of language playing will change that fact. I gave you the chance to rectify your own error and informed you what the error was just in case you were unaware, which some people are. After you read my PMs and ignored them I went ahead and quietly edited the image to post a link to the original image.

Not once should my conduct come into question in this matter. How exactly would you like me to phrase the PM in the future for anyone else? Would sugarcoating it help? I don't beat around the bush and I don't have the time to sugarcoat things. If I spent time formulating a message just so I wouldn't offend someone I'd be at it all day because no matter what I say, someone will become offended. That usually happens when somone is caught doing something wrong and instead of standing up and admitting their mistake, they throw blame on the person who pointed out there error.
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.24(Thu)12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some people are simply unaware of what they can and cannot lawfully do with images and text they find on the internet.

Perhaps information on the use of images and/or text from other sites should be included in the General Guidelines. When a moderator finds that someone has violated the law, that moderator can direct the poster to the Guidelines and ask the poster to make the necessary change, or go ahead and make the change and then direct the poster to the Guidelines so that they understand why the change was made.

~Haname
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.24(Thu)17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I doupt huntress was in anyway to harsh. even my avtar is not my photo I actuall emailed the owner of the site which had it on it and asked permision to use it on this board. he said yes and I thanked him. just ask next time.

andrew
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: