Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Breeding
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rachael
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.13(Sun)8:03    Post subject: Breeding Reply with quote

Just a thought, but maybe we could have a breeding forum list? I suspect that a lot of breeding questions may end up on the diseases list, and think we would all love to chat about our various successes and failures.
Rachael
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.13(Sun)23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

there has been no need to have a breeding forum as there has never been many people asking about it. if you have questoins about breeding fish please post them in the fishes and invertabrates section.

andrew
Doosharm
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.02.15(Tue)10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
there has been no need to have a breeding forum as there has never been many people asking about it.

I'm not so sure about that SLACkra. This is the second time that somebody has posted in the Site Issues section for a breeding section (fist time here)

Also, just recently there have been the following posts:

Freshwater Basics:
Breed Guppies
I found Eggs

Goldfish, Koi, and Ponds:
Breeding Goldfish (This one should look familiar SLACkra)

Fishes and Invertebrates:
Platy Won't Give Birth
Takashi amano shrimp ...eggs
Bloodfin Breeding
How Do I Grow Snails?
Albino Cory Egss
Knowing When Pregnant Guppy is Going to Give Birth

Marine Fishes and Corals:
Banded Shark Egg
Newborn Baby Shark

These are just posts that I found by looking at the first page or two of each section. Of course these posts wouldn't fill up an entire section of their own but I don't think you can say people aren't asking.

To some people being able to breed fish is like a confirmation that you're doing things right. It kind of completes the cycle. Not only can you keep your fish healthy, they are healthy enough to breed in your tank. To me it completes the hobby.

I mean, what is this site for? Its here to educate people about fish and to "promote responsible fishkeeping". A section on fish breeding could only enhance this.

Some of the posts above are emergency questions like, "My fish had babies, what do I do?" If there were a section on fish breeding and fry care they could just visit that section and have their question answered immediately and hopefully get back to the tank in time to save some of the fry. Meanwhile, other people just want to know how they could breed their own fish of a particular species. They don't exactly need advice in all cases, just the formula (Male platy + female platy + water = babies).

Don't get me wrong, I love this site. The people here have provided me with a lifetimes worth of information. Anytime I have ever asked a question about breeding it has been answered. But, I think that breeding is a big enough part of the hobby to have its own section on the site and perhaps its own forum to follow. When more people try to breed their fish more questions will come in and a forum section will be more than justified.

This is my second post on the subject and maybe my last. I am very interested in how to breed all kinds of fish even though I will never own some of them and never try to breed others. I think it is quite obvious that I would like a section on breeding and that I think it would be a valuable addition to the site. With that said, I will only post again if comments are directed specifically to me. I just don't want to be pushy about the subject. I'm not trying to get anyone angry and I won't get angry myself if a breeding section is never put in. I just think it would be awesome Smile
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.15(Tue)11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doosharm, excellent points.

The only issue that I can see with a breeding section is not the authors of posts, but the responses. I only have a limited amount of time to check the board, and I don't go into certain forums e.g. the goldfish one as I have no experience with goldfish or ponds.
I have tons of experience breeding cichlids, peacock gudgeon, rasboras, shrimp, even tried to breed tetras... I have never bred bettas and wouldn't even be able to tell you were to begin. Since cichlids are my forte, it is the first forum I visit, and no breeding question would go unanswered in there.

Still, you make excellent posts, and some sort of forum more like the articles section might be an amazing resource.
Imagine a breeders post on Rams where everyone could post their successes or failures. might build to a great consensus type thread.

What do others think?
Anyone?
tdfd
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.15(Tue)12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discus Man hit the nail on the head. If their was a section like a mix of the articles and the gallery section. Where someone could make an article out of breeding specific fish and then people could add comments or share thier experience under it would be pretty cool.
Doosharm
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.02.15(Tue)12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is basically what I was going for. In the other post on a breeding section I stated that

Quote:
A special section or article could help tremendously and prevent people from having to answer the same questions repeatedly. I'm sure there are enough people that visit this site to fill up an entire website of its own with breeding information and fry care.

and that

Quote:
if a section is made, you may end up getting enough questions about breeding that you would need a section on the forum as well...

Basically a section dedicated to breeding and fry care in the articles section would be nice. Then, like tdfd and Discus Man said we can have other people add their comments and experiences (like in the fish galleries) to fill it out. After people get into that stuff there may be more questions popping up on the forums. If so it may be advantageous to create a special section in the forums for breeding questions.
Fish sticks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.15(Tue)21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, I certainly opt for that, it will help organize things a bit more as well.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.17(Thu)23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on Discusman's comment. Their hasn't been too much talk on how people set up fry grow out tanks etc. Breeding topics are widely scattered. I believe a breeding section(dunno how often SW fish are bred?) would be used quite well and could contribute article material.
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: