Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I thought I was alone...
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.01.25(Tue)10:35    Post subject: I thought I was alone... Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
I just realised that I should introduce myself.
I've been keeping fish for about 22 yr's (since pong was new and eight track tapes Shocked )
I've learned a lot (mostly by making mistakes) and still have a lifetime left to learn. I certainly embrace the concept of fish keeping. This website is great (congrats marcos and team) because, if you want, you can learn without making the mistakes... usually. Wink
Also, I have always felt a bit odd.. standing in fish stores staring at fish for hours (can I help you - no thanks, just looking) and talking about fish till my wife and friends eyes glaze over (no, no, really, don't you think that's interesting??).
Until finding this website I thought I was alone! Very Happy
Francheska
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.01.25(Tue)10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum! You are obviously not alone and the conversation at the LFS you described happens to me all the time Smile
See you around!
F.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.01.25(Tue)17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the hight of my aquarium addiction some of the workers at my lfs made comments about getting me a cot for I could just live there Very Happy . I had to inspect almost every tank and see if there was somthing new. I was opsessed. I actually became friends with the owner winston. very nice guy. he actually took my advice somtimes. mainly like new things I have learned about salties.(I told him how I had lost a lot of fish because of some hair algae absorbing the oxygen at night. next time I went there surprise surprise no hair algae) lol. Welcome to a of a!

andrew
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.01.25(Tue)23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! No, at least on this site you are not alone. I, too, spend a lot of time looking at fish at different LFSs. It gets awkward when it's a small shop with only one person working there. I feel like I should have a conversation but I just want to study fish and learn their names, and I sometimes feel self-conscious about being there so long. I know they're thinking, "There's that nutso foreign girl back and staring at fish again". I also love talking about fish to anyone who will listen -- usually funny anecdotes and how funny their personalities can be. I'm sure my family thinks I have partly gone off my rocker. Smile Laskey
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.01.27(Thu)6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't stay away from the lfs. I just hung out there. they had a very cool cockatoo and if it was out I would put it on my shoulder while I went around and inspected everthing. and asked questions.

andrew
rachael
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.11(Fri)0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound just like me!
"What are you after today rach? Have you seen these?"
Three hours later ...
Nowdays I have all their mobile numbers and am trading with them.
Remember, they are there to help, and their understanding and time makes you a valued customer! Don't be ashamed.
PS, everytime a buy a new fish I get that glazed over look from the hubby too!
R
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: