Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
posting to the gallery(doubt)
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Indiaqualover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.01(Tue)7:13    Post subject: posting to the gallery(doubt) Reply with quote

In the last 2 weeks I have been discussing about the "Jain Gourami". I claim it is a new fish to this site. I don't know how many of you have gone through the messages in our discussion. Do you think I can submit it to the gallery? I need some discuusion on this. You guys know better. You can find the pictures in both "Fishes and Invertibrates" and "Photo Album" forums. The topic is "Jain Gourami".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
2la
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.01(Tue)21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for me personally I'd need more definitive proof that this isn't just an albino or xanthic form of Osphromenus goramy or the other two species in the genus. I think it's fair to suggset that this is not a naturally occurring variant or species, as any fish with this kind of coloration would quickly succumb to predation in the wild.

2la
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.02(Wed)1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds solid. How should I go about verifying that it's not an albino or a xanthic form of Osphromenus goramy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
2la
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.02(Wed)15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to find a valid scientific name or other hard evidence that an all-white gourami species exists and/or has been newly discovered. Maybe speak with the person/merchant from whom you originally obtained it and see if you can trace back the fish's pedigree (who supplied it, was it tank-raised/farmed or wild-caught, who the importer was, what name was imported under, etc.). I was unable to find anything personally.

2la
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: