Entry Page

Main Page Personal Setups Message Board Site Map Send e-mail

aq200_07.jpg (47kb)

This is my 200 liter community tank. (SEP 98) More Images

Dimensions(cm): 100x40x50
Type: All glass w/ wooden stand & hood.
Lighting: 3x30 W fluorescent.
Filtration: AquaClear 300 + 500 l/h powerhead.
CO2 supply: DIY yeast reactor.
Temperature: 26-34C
pH: 7.4
Hardness: 6 dH
Population: ~100 cm of fish.

Plants:
Egeria densa, Cabomba caroliniana, Vallisneria spiralis, Hygrophila polysperma, Hygrophila sp., Nomaphila stricta, Sagittaria subulata, Eleocharis acicularis.

Inhabitants:
2 Blue Dempseys (Nandopsis octofasciatus var., mated pair)
2 Albino Red-Fin Sharks (Epalzeorhynchus frenatus)
1 Red-Tailed Black Shark (Epalzeorhynchus bicolor)
3 Clown Loaches (Botia macracantha)
4 Orange Chromides (Etroplus maculatus var.)
1 Spotted Hypostomus (Hypostomus punctatus)
1 Gold Nugget Pleco (Hypostomus sp.)

Former inhabitants:
1 Red-Fin Shark (Epalzeorhynchus frenatus, moved to 300 liter gourami tank)
3 Bala Sharks (Balantiocheilus melanopterus, moved 300 liter gourami tank)
3 Bettas (Betta splendens, 1 male & 2 females, deceased)
4 Slender Hemiodus (Hemiodopsis fowleri, deceased)

This is my favorite aquarium. It's about 12 years old, started as a freshwater tank, then became saltwater, and is now back to freshwater. It has moved to four different houses with me and is currently in my living room, right beside my computer. Most of the fish and plants are from Asia, but there are also a few from Central and South America. The present setup requires very little maintenance. It basically involves removing loose leaves, a 20% water change every week and pruning the plants every month. The hardy plants used here grow slowly but are very healthy, proving that you don't need any fancy or expensive equipment to have a nice planted tank.

For the first year and a half or so, the tank had a UGF for filtration and the plants were growing fine without any kind of special attention. But after that they began to show signs of weakening, so I started adding 2 ml of SeaChem Flourish after weekly water changes. I also started adding 10 ml of a homemade Potassium Carbonate solution (10% K2CO3) once or twice a week. It helps keep the pH slightly alkaline (ideal for most of the fishes here), raises carbonate hardness (KH), and the potassium is good for the plants.

A few months later I started making some more significant changes to the setup. I began experimenting with my first homemade CO2 yeast reactor, and after a while deactivated the UGF, replacing the previous AquaClear 200 by the larger 300. I also began making a few changes to the fish population until settling with the current list above.